Chapter 24

Part 2: Ghost of You

Loki's extraction was swift and painless. Thanos had stayed in his throne when the Asgardian collapsed. The Other had checked his wounds.

"He is bleeding again. The strain is too much."

"Leave him." Thanos commanded. "I revealed our location to their guardian. They've come for him." He turned to Ebony. "You should go." Nodding, she stood. But the door was kicked in and in strode Thor, flanked by his friends. Lounging comfortably, Thanos gestured to Loki.

"Take him and go. I've finished my punishment. I've no quarrel with Asgard."

Thor began to speak but with a hand pressed to his chest, Sif stopped him.

"We came for Loki." She reminded him.

"An assault on my brother is an assault on my entire family!" Thor claimed.

Thanos stood, towering above them all. "Take him and go, Prince. He is not your brother. Do not start a war over a man who deserves little of your support."

The Other lifted Loki into Thor's arms and pushed them towards the door. "Go. Quickly. Please, he is bleeding out."

Thor looked up, catching sight of a figure sneaking away from them. He frowned as the Bifrost opened. "Ebony?" He called. They were dragged home before he could call to her again. Confused and filled with fear for his brother's state, Thor pushed the sight from his mind. He draped Loki over his horse and they rode over the bridge.

Asgard stood untouched. Sleipnir was waiting for them at the Bifrost but his mother was unable to ride him home. Baldr waited anxiously in his tavern for news. Seeing them approach, Frigga ran to them from the entrance to the palace. Ebony stood frozen to the spot, her eyes wide and her hand covering her mouth in horror over the state of the form lying limp over Thor's legs. Odin nervously paced the throne room, waiting for word of his sons.

What had passed had finally passed with only Loki to suffer it.

Thor pulled Loki into his arms and moved to go inside. He assured Frigga that Loki was only unconscious but needed medical attention immediately. Sif and Fandral ran together to fetch Eir. Thor gave Ebony a suspicious look as he walked past. Her eyes widened. He laid Loki on his bed. Frigga wiped her eyes.

She knelt beside the bed. "Oh my son, what have they done to you?" She brushed her fingers down his pale, gaunt cheek.

Thor turned to Ebony. "Why were you there?"

She blinked, staring at him. "What?"

"Why did I see you with Thanos?"

Frigga turned to him. "She was with me the entire time. What do you mean?"

He growled and set to pacing. "I saw her there, standing behind Thanos!"

"You saw him? What happened? How did you get out?"

"Tell me what you were doing there!"

The door opened to allow Eir and Petra inside. Immediately, the argument fell silent. They were ushered aside and Eir examined Loki quickly. She shook her head.

"I need him in surgery. Now." He was lifted onto a gurney and wheeled away. Hours passed before news reached the royal family. Loki was stable. There was permanent damage and no doubt, mental trauma, but he would live at least. Whether he wanted to, remained to be seen.

......

Day Twenty-Six

Loki was returned to his room to recuperate in relative comfort. His comatose state made such comforts of little import.