Chapter 8

I was curious about how Odin was getting on with his visits to Loki so when I was sure he was free for his afternoon walk, I hurried to meet him. He preferred the gardens. It was easy to lose his advisors in the maze. I caught him just as he was entering and called for him to wait.

He seemed to tense and take a deep breath as I approached. "Lady Gray." He murmured.

"Hey!" I tried to smile to let him know I was only being friendly. "I heard you went to see Loki yesterday. How's it going lately?"

"Not very well. Is there a concern?" He frowned.

I shook my head. "No, I was just curious. I'm glad you're trying. He'll come around one day."

He turned to walk, gesturing for me to join him. I noticed he was without his staff and ravens, generally a good sign. They made me nervous and usually his lack of a cape meant that he was in a relaxed mood. "You have been making headway in your campaign of late. I've signed quite a few decrees and agreements with your name somewhere in them."

I grinned, pleased to hear he had signed them. "Yeah, it's all going really well. What do you think of our plans? Kaldr's a genius, I'll tell ya."

"Yes I know. The plans are well thought out and simple enough in concept. One can only hope they are as simple to enact." I nodded. He took another breath, as though he was preparing himself for something. "There is something I must speak to you about."

Instantly thinking this was a mistake, I felt nervousness coil in my stomach. I nodded anyway.

"We are waiting for a last courier to bring us a report on the investigation of Loki's employer. As of yet, we have found nothing. Nonetheless, I will wait. And then I will review his case. In the meantime, I have made a decision regarding the child."

I frowned. He made a decision? Without me? "Uh-"

"Let me finish. You will be permitted to stay for three months after the child is born. After such time, I will return you to Midgard. The Bifrost will be completed by then." He paused and I took the moment to listen to the sounds of construction on the bridge. This much I knew about already. I was still working on convincing him otherwise. "The child will be given to a couple in Alfheim. They are eager for a child and will raise it with all the love and care that it may deserve. I will hide its heritage the way I did for Loki. It will be left up to them to tell it the truth. Meanwhile, Loki will either remain in prison or be released to house arrest for the remainder of his days. I understand you do not agree with my decision but it has been made. I will not change my mind. Now," he tugged on his sleeves and rolled his shoulders, "I would like to walk alone, please." He turned into the maze and quickly disappeared around a corner.

I stood where he left me, feeling as though the ground had fallen from beneath me and the sky had come crumbling down with it.

"What?" I croaked. I turned around, as if expecting someone else to be there to feel just as horrified. "What the hell?"

I could go after him, couldn't I? I could argue with him. But he wouldn't listen, I could already tell by the hard-set frown and the threatening gaze. I had no choice in the future of my child or even my future. Odin had decided it as if I belonged to him, as if my existence was his to control.

Despite every effort I had made to make myself useful, to cooperate, to help him. I was still a burden, still a foreigner. I still didn't matter.

I made a beeline for the prison. Agni, unaware I had been there last night, didn't protest and barely said a word as I stormed in. I motioned for the daytime guard in the hallways to open the door. He closed it quietly behind me.