Chapter 38

The door creaked open and a small flame floated across the room. The light was followed by the soft sound of bare feet sliding through the plush carpet. They stopped beside the bed. Loki sighed and slipped his arms from around Ebony. He turned and looked down into eyes just as green as his own. He rubbed his and nodded. The green eyes sparkled in the candlelight and stepped back. Loki stood and pulled some pants on. He fumbled around for a shirt before following the small dark form from the room.

The candle went out and a bright lavender spark lit the corridor. Loki took the book from Kenna and flipped through it, remembering when he read through it multiple times. He turned to her. She walked beside him and pulled her hair back from her face. Loki stopped in their usual training room. He walked to a dark corner and leaned against a wall. He motioned for Kenna to begin. She didn't always sleep well and on nights when it was simply too difficult to quiet her mind, she would come to him and they would practice until she tired out. Loki would then carry her back to bed.

Kenna stood up straight and breathed deeply. She closed her eyes and bit the inside of her cheek, her usual sign of concentration. Loki watched as a flicker of purple appeared beside her and disappeared. He pushed off the wall and went to her. She bit her cheek harder and tried again. This time, the flicker lasted longer. Loki stood behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders. He closed his eyes and searched her mind.

She barely reacted to his presence, used to the almost constant connection between them since her birth. Loki tapped on a mental door and Kenna opened it, feeling a surge of power. "Relax." He murmured. She nodded and closed the door until only a crack remained. He walked through the corridors of her knowledge and found that a large portion of what was needed was missing. "You haven't read chapter seventy yet have you?" She shook her head and he withdrew from her mind.

"You must read it. We will go over it tomorrow. You need to practice your teleportation."

Kenna groaned but waited patiently for his command.

"Now."

She disappeared, coming into view moments later and a few feet away.

"Again." He said calmly. She disappeared. She continued this, reappearing further each time. The distance gradually increased until she was going between both ends of the room. But it took her too long to focus and she was disoriented when she landed. Her disappearance was sloppy and her reappearance too noticeable.

She looked up suddenly, her back tense. Loki froze, feeling a strange pull in the back of his mind. Thoughts scattered as he tried to ground them. Like his mind was expanding, it gave way to an emptiness that was quickly filled with the scent of iron and the clank of chains and deep, cold laughter.

"Daddy?"

"Kenna-" He stopped as the alarm was sounded. Running to the window in the darkened room, Loki looked out towards the Bifrost. He watched Heimdall charge an enemy, only to be thrown back down the bridge. The figure stepped forward, disappearing in a motion Loki had only seen Luk perform. He knew the destination by the way the presence in his thoughts grew. Loki turned to Kenna and was about to take her to safety when the wall crumbled beside him. He cried out and pulled Kenna behind him, holding his hand up against the wave of dust.

Thanos' tall, bulky figure stood before him, bringing his chilling blue eyes to Loki. He smiled.

"And we begin again." He murmured. Loki backed away, trying in vain to keep Kenna out of sight. The Titan stepped through the rubble, followed by a group of bent, shadowy creatures. He walked towards Loki, stepping loudly and slowly, like a predator stalking its prey. Loki heard a quiet whimper behind him and he turned, shoving Kenna towards the door.