Chapter 16

There's no smut, no need to skip anything.

-----------------

The Reception

The feast had lasted a few hours in itself. Now though, the musicians were ready and waiting. I was sitting next to Loki and talking to Mom when Loki stood. The table hushed and I felt my face get red as all eyes turned to Loki and I. Loki smiled at me and held a hand out. I stared at it and then at him.

"The dance." He whispered. Remembering the dance I was still in no way prepared for, I grimaced. A chuckle went round the table. I took Loki's hand and he lifted me up, leading me to the center of the floor. Chairs creaked as everyone stood and lined the walls of the room, watching. Loki had taught me Asgardian dance which was, thankfully, not too different from ballroom dance. I wasn't very good but Frigga said as long as I kept my eyes locked on his, he would lead me perfectly. He had even modified it slightly so it wouldn't be too difficult or tiring for me. So when the music started and Loki curled one hand at my waist and entwined the other with mine, I looked up into his smiling eyes.

The song started out very slow and sweet. Loki led me across the floor, spinning easily with me in his arms. It started to pick up the pace and I grinned, feeling a bit of adventure seeping into the song. It was soon suspenseful and romantic all at once. He let go of me, holding my hand and stepping back, continuing to dance as though the complicated steps were second nature. And yet, as I focused on him and his gentle smile, I became lost in the music and simply went along like I'd been doing this for years. The song slowed and Loki pulled me back into his arms, keeping me close. It came to a slow end and we stopped, both out of breath.

I barely heard the guests clap. All I could see was Loki and all I heard was his breathless laugh. He nodded to the musicians and smirked back at me. I tried to glare at him, knowing he was going to torture me. He laughed and bent to rest his forehead in the crook of my shoulder. "Very well. I will let you rest."

I curled a hand around his neck as he straightened and pulled him back down for a kiss. "Thank you." He brought me back to a seat. Turning as Mom came towards me, Loki tilted his head at her.

"If I may?" He asked, his hand out to her. She blinked at him, leaning away slightly. He flashed her his most charming smile. "If my wife prefers to rest then perhaps I can have her beautiful mother as my partner on the floor?" Mom flushed and laughed. I rolled my eyes. She took his hand and Loki led her to join the other couples that had gathered to dance. As he turned to face her, he shot me a wink from over her head.

The second dance began gently, with a flute that reminded me of a summer breeze. The musicians picked up the tune and everything began in a slow whirl. The music swelled and broke apart into shorter, playful notes.

Loki showed Mom the way. He was extremely agile and light on his feet for someone of his incredible height. He spun her off to another partner. I watched in surprise as Odin expertly caught her and helped her keep time. The music continued for some time, with everyone swapping partners and spinning around. There was so much energy and life behind every move and every note, an enormous amount of excitement and joy living in every smile. Just watching, I knew the dance would have been too much for me. But I was glad Mom was enjoying it. She laughed as Loki swung her back into his arms and finished off the song with her. The drums gradually died away to leave us with just a slowing flute solo.

He said something as he bowed that left her laughing into her hand. I smiled and scooted over when he brought her to sit with me.

"Thankfully," he smiled, "your mother is a better dancer than you. And just as beautiful." Mom snorted and I groaned.