Chapter 12

After a few hours of talking, I told Liv that we should probably start on dinner. I took my bag to my room and then returned to the kitchen. It had been so long since I'd made anything for myself, I actually missed it a little bit. Liv held up a pack of ground beef.

"Wanna help?" I nodded.

She tossed me the pack. I spilled it into an oiled pan along with the two remaining packs on the counter and let them simmer. Leaning against the counter, I watched her mince garlic. "So...Banner..."

"Yep." She nodded, smiling.

I grinned. "Heimdall tells me you're serious."

"Who now?"

"This guardian guy who can see into worlds and stuff. He checks on you guys for me."

"Oh cool! Yeah, we're doing great! He asked me out a few days after you left."

"And? What's it like? It's been months, I'm guessing he kissed you by now. How's everyone taking it? How are you taking it?"

"It's different. We don't get to see each other as much as I'd like. He and SHIELD are back on good standing so he's been busy lately. He's going to Switzerland in a few months though and promised to take me."

"Wow..."

"And you know, he's really careful because he doesn't want me to see Hulk or anything. Like even when I kiss him? He's super nervous because if his heart rate gets too high, he'll y'know. But he's working on that. Anyway, he's really sweet and supportive. Oh by the way, that reminds me. Guess who got her CPA!"

After years of work, she had worked so long and hard to become certified as an accountant. "What! Now what? You got a firm job now?"

"Yeah, you remember Miss Caruso? Her brother hired me! He's got his own firm and I'm right under him. It's pretty sweet! Tax season though man, the hours are insane."

"I can imagine." I nodded.

I let her stir in the tomatoes and garlic and after she added a little water, I stirred it. She turned on the oven for the garlic bread. "So I know you say you're just trying to get used to their culture and all that. But what are you gonna do up there? I mean, I guess you don't have to work anymore."

"There's a lot to do actually. Odin offered Loki a place in the Court so long as he's willing to work for it. Jotunheim is rebuilding again after the attacks. So he's teaming up with Eir to advocate going over there and learning about them and helping out for the sake of peace."

"Wow. That's some serious stuff."

"Yeah, so I'm helping with that. And I'm teaming up with Eir's apprentice to try slowing the spread of this virus that's going around. I'm really just schmoozing so she can get the resources she needs. Odin's economic advisor is letting me help find new trade endeavors and turn around the economy. And I'm working with their educational board to help their kids work towards their careers while getting the schooling they need! So there's a lot to do. I'm exhausted."

Liv was standing in front of the oven, her eyes wide and mouth fallen open. "Whoa. You're a politician now."

I laughed. "I'm just helping them do whatever they need to, seriously. But Frigga and I are definitely starting that rehabilitation program and a committee for the people to voice complaints we can address. Those were my ideas. But that's about it."

She snorted. "You say that like it's nothing!" But she sobered quickly and made sure I met her gaze. "You're sure about this though? All of it?"

I nodded. "Yeah. Oh, you mean marrying him?" She nodded. I smiled. "I'm sure."