Chapter 13

After a day of rest and lounging around at Liv's, I stepped on the concrete path of SHIELD's base. Kat and Marci, having volunteered to pick me up, walked on either side of me. Kat was on the phone, updating Fury on their status.

"He's in location undisclosed," Marci explained, "so Hill is taking control of your processing. You'll be fine, she's cool." She took my hand and swung it between us, grinning up at me. "And then, if she clears you, Tony invited us to Stark Tower. So we can all go chill there! They'll tell Thor to meet us there when he gets back."

They brought me to an office where Maria Hill sat behind a desk that was obviously too big and too imposing for her. She was calm, with a no-nonsense air about her that was belied only slightly by her thoughtful blue eyes. She smiled as I came in.

"Miss Gray." She came around the desk to sit on the edge. "Still Miss Gray, right?"

I nodded, sitting in the seat in front of her. "For a few more days."

"Maria Hill. I'm standing in for Fury while you're here." She gestured to the name plaque behind her that identified the desk and office as his. "Welcome back. How is Asgard?"

"Fine. In some trouble but nothing they can't handle."

She nodded. "Glad to hear it. I'm not gonna keep you long. I have to pick up Cap, I'll see you at Tony's party."

I frowned and she smiled. "Acting Director still has to have a life. And Cap's my designated driver." She folded her arms. "So, I'm sure you're tired of telling it but I need the story. What's happened since we last saw you?"

Sitting back, I told her everything. I told her about Loki's trial and punishment, about the search for his employer and about his most recent release. She listened without interruption, her eyes scanning me for signs of anything left out. But I had nothing to hide.

When I finished, she continued to watch me. "Should we be preparing to deal with Loki's employer?"

I shook my head. "He doesn't want Midgard, sorry... Earth. They're rubbing off on me." She smiled briefly. "He just wants the Tesseract. And now he wants Loki. He's our problem now."

"Sorry for you but that's good news to us. Should we be worried about Loki's return?"

Again, no. "He's not interested in you anymore. But I'm willing to keep you updated on his progress? Now that the Bifrost is repaired, I can travel back and forth whenever I want."

She nodded and jotted something down. "Please do. Thank you. I think that's good enough. I just needed the details. So, I'll have you taken to Stark Tower and I'll see you later." She frowned and pressed a hand to her earpiece. Rolling her eyes, she sighed. "We're building a landing pad for the Bifrost and Thor. He keeps landing in training fields and messing up the turf. I gotta go."

I pushed myself to my feet and followed her out.

We walked into Stark Tower at the same time as Maria and Cap. She went immediately to a redheaded woman's side, rolling her eyes and saying something. I went to Steve, hoping to say hello before Marci attached herself to him for the night. She claimed she had taken it upon herself to assimilate him or whatever. I suspected there was much more to it.

He was facing away from me so I tapped his shoulder and slipped to the other side. He fell for it and then turned around, a smile instantly coming to his handsome face. "Miss Gray. It's good to see you." He held a hand out for me to shake and I took it.

"You too. How's it goin'?"

He shrugged and turned back to watching Nat mix a drink. "I'm still adjusting."

I nodded. "Well, now I know how you feel. Asgard is practically medieval. But they have running water."

He nodded. "Well, that's a plus. How is um...How is he?"

I smiled and shrugged. "Fine. Not as crazy or murderous, if that's what you mean."