(19) WHEN YOU START TO ACTUALLY LIKE SWISS CHOCOLATE

FRIDA

It took me three days at home to finally be back on my feet.

That morning I was supposed to go back to work, I woke up ahead of my alarm, only to see the quiet dark-haired still asleep by my side, naked. I would lie if I said I would've felt better that fast if it wasn't for her: she has been by my side as much as possible those past few days, are we enjoyed long night (after-sex) conversations about every little details of our lives. 

I've found my peace with her at last.

I caress her back softly when she opens her gorgeous green eyes and they soften at the sight of me. I have a peaceful smile on my lips, as I kiss her cheek with tenderness and get up and get dressed. 

When I get to the office, Kosse was there, waiting for me with open arms and a tight hug, as I was just happy to see my associate again. While Sakina and Jordyn went back to The Times office with Ingrid - where they belong - I have to admit that it was quite calm without them. While I was gone, my boss hired a new journalist to my team, whose name is Stina Blackstenius, a graduate from Stockholm who just arrived in London. 

After a long hug, Kosse just says:

"It's great to see you back in one piece, boss."

"It's great to be back" I concede, smirking. Then, I just salute Stina and continue: "Now, we've got some work to do: I'll go to my office, you two work on that article due tonight, okay?"

They both nod, as I walk toward my office. 

When I get there, however, I frown: something is different. It is only when I sit down at my desk that I see the black rose on my desk, with a small note that said we never look at the ceiling enough. Frowning, I do look up, and almost let a small scream out:

I KNOW WHAT THEY DID.

My eyes go wide, as the red painting that was used looks like blood. Setting my jaw, I just try to remain calm, as my phone vibrates in my purse. I cannot for the life of me get prepared at what was written in the so-called text, since I know exactly who it was from.

Indeed, I am not disappointed:

From Hidden Number: the goal of a journalist is to uncover the truth, even when it is devastatingly close to the ones we love. If you want to understand the whole picture about the Velvet Killers, then you might as well want to investigate on Senior Prom Night's third victim

Setting my jaw, I just remain still, as if I couldn't move anymore: a third victim? Given that Jason McCabe and Mapi were the first two (although she did not officially die, it is written on the official records that she did), who could be the third one? And who killed them...?

Of course I had an idea: the truth is devastatingly close to the ones we love... What if Ingrid hadn't told me the whole truth about that night? 

Quite immediately, I dial a specific phone number and reluctantly get on the line with someone I really did not really want to talk to.

After a 'hello' from the other side of the line, I just say:

"Zadorsky? We need to talk... It's about Senior Prom Night." 

*** 

JILL

After two days, Lia finally opens her apartment's door: she looks exhausted, with her hair tied in a messy bun, and dark circles under her eyes.