(17) THE NEW QUEEN

SPECIAL POV CHAPTER

LIA WÄLTI

_________________________

My gun in hand, I subtly enter the Cosmos, trying to avoid any familiar face. Thankfully enough, since it was the middle of the afternoon and visibly a busy day for the Velvet Killers organisation, nobody I knew of was there.

I make a sign to the barista, and she nods her head - she knows this is the VIP sign. 

I immediately walk down the stairs to the VIP room, and when I hear voices, I hold my breath back: I knew Jill would be brought here, and although it pretty much was a trap for sure, I knew in my guts that I had to come here. I've let Leah down, and I wouldn't let it happen with anyone else, especially not Jill for some reason. 

I hide behind the door, catching glimpses of the scene going on: Jill was sitting on a couch, with Aitana Bonmati speaking over the phone. I take a good look of my surroundings: surveillance cameras, but no other person present in the room. If working for the police taught me one thing, it's that such cameras have blind spots. 

After spotting this one, I take advantage of Aitana's back turned on me (just like Jill's, by the way) to get to the blind spot and point my gun toward her. When she turns around, she immediately spots me and puts the phone down, raising her hands.

"Good, we've been expecting you."

Jill immediately turns around as best as she could, but when she sees me her reaction isn't exactly what I pictured:

"Wally? What the Hell? Get outta here!" she yells, out of her mind. 

Frowning, I suddenly get why she's saying that when something cold touches my neck and does a smooth 'click'. Scheisse, I think to myself. (English: shit). 

Jill's eyes seem to shoot daggers at me and the person behind me, as a smooth voice says:

"Cute but dumb as hell: I can't believe everybody's falling for you, Wälti."

Of course I know that voice: Christen Press, aka the chief of London P.D.'s daughter and Jenni Hermoso's right hand. 

I slowly turn around, as the gorgeous yet evil woman just takes her time in checking me out, before staring at Jill.

I immediately sense that something happened between the two of them, but if I needed any confirmation, Christen would've given me it by saying: