(22) THE PRETTIEST KILLERS IN THE HISTORY OF SERIAL KILLERS

FRIDA

I frown. 

It was settled: Sakina Karchaoui was exempted from the charges held against her if she helps the police find Mapi Leòn and end The Velvet Killers organisation. Melanie Leupolz was going through the whole paperwork with her, while Lucy Bronze and Shelina Zadorsky were talking about new strategies. 

When Ingrid walked into the police station, she immediately sees me and walks toward me, visibly both angry and worried. Realising that I hadn't changed my mind about how I felt toward her lately, she sets her jaw and looks around: of course the two agents had their eyes on her. This morning I also found out Lucy Bronze was a private investigator hired by Alexia and Mapi's mother to investigate on the latter's death originally, but then got herself involved with the case thinking about bringing justice. The Brit was throwing daggers at Ingrid, and then at me, while Shelina just makes her follow her into the next room.

The Norwegian seems very tired, although she would still look good. Without a word, she directs her chin toward the interrogation room, where nobody would see us. I reluctantly follow her, closing the door behind me and coldly crossing my arms against my chest. 

Ingrid seems nervous when she starts:

"I know you are mad at me, but I deserve a chance to explain myself."

"Agreed" I just answer, unemotional. 

Of course she knew this wouldn't be easy, but she is trying either way:

"Frida, it was never my intention to lie to you, nor to protect a serial killer. Ale and I had no idea about all those poor women... We thought it was an accident, she... she lied to us... But I know it's not a good enough excuse in your eyes, so I am just going to say it another way: I am sorry I broke the trust we established between us, Frida. It was never my intention to hurt your feelings, nor to make you feel like you couldn't trust me. Everything I told you is true: I do love you, I am deeply in love with you, and I want to be with you. And I will wait the time necessary for you to forgive me, I won't move."

Setting her jaw, she exits the room, as a tear rolls down my cheeks: I was completely lost, that was for sure...

... and I loved Ingrid more than anything else in the world...

But I couldn't tell her that just yet... Not before the whole thing was over and that we fixed the mess she and Alexia caused.

*** 

JILL

Lia nervously walks in circle of TVK's VIP room, where she had called for a meeting with all the members. The doors were seconds from automatically opening up.

Behind her, Shelina and I exchange a look, before the blonde whispers:

"Buckle up, Wälti: you're gonna be just fine. Just play your part."

Inside our ears, the three of us hear Lucy Bronze's voice from the wires and microphones we had on us:

"C'mon girls: time to shine."

The automatic doors of the VIP room opens, and we immediately see a handful familiar faces leading the pack: Ona Batlle, who had been released while forced to sign a contract that seals her to the police ; Aitana Bonmati, who looked absolutely annoyed to see a stranger running the whole TVK operations ; and Christen Press, who was just looking around the room with a smirk. Behind them, two other women followed: one was very tall with long, curly, brown hair, while the other had black hair and was slightly smaller.