Chapter 20

„Prince Harry announces his engagement to Miss Meghan Markle."

„Another Royal wedding: Prince Harry and his girlfriend Meghan Markle announce their engagement."

„A new Princess for the Royal family? Will Harry's new fiancé also get a title in her own right?"

„Princess Madeleine wishes the couple "all the luck in the world" as she gets asked by a well wisher on her latest outing in the snowy highlands."

"I think it is safe to say that we were all rather taken by surprise, isn't it?"
"Yes, absolutely. I guess we all realised that Harry was serious about this relationship after the statement he released almost a year ago and expected an engagement at some point but surely not after what can be no more than 16 months of dating."
"Do you think it was a rushed decision?"
"I don't think I can comment on that since there is not much we know about their relationship yet. We basically know nothing about his new fiancé other than the fact that she is an actress, American and a divorcé."
"Well that is not quite right. We also know that she is a very vocal advocate for women's rights and equality."
"I am sorry, yes of course. But still she was never really in the picture of the wider British public. With Princess Madeleine things were different. Her relationship with Harry was officially announced by the palace after they had been already dating for two years. She had already moved in with him at that point and got the permission to accompany him to certain events. The public had time to get to know her so to speak. After the announcement it took another two years for Henry to pop the question. And I remember that even than four years felt rather quick to all of us comparing to the seven years William waited to propose to Kate. The thing is that whenever you are in a relationship with someone of the royal family who is high up in the line of succession you always have to be aware of what this means for you and your future. You are not just marrying your significant other and his family but also the United Kingdom and basically the whole world. That is reportedly the reason why William waited so long and I am sure that is why Harry waited another two years before proposing to Maddie to give her the chance of "backing out" as William once put it."
"So what do you think is the reason he popped the question so soon this time?"
"That is a very good question and I have to admit that I am rather curious myself. I am impatiently waiting for the interview tomorrow. I think this will bring a lot of light into everything."
"One last question. How do you think Princess Madeleine will react to the news of the engagement?"
"To be honest I don't think she just found out today like the rest of us. I am sure she got informed about this before hand. And she has proved it time and time again over the last month how seriously she takes her duties and responsibilities so I highly doubt it we will hear anything from her about this other than how happy she is for the two of them. We will have to see though how the tradition of inviting your ex girlfriends to your wedding will be handled. After all there has never been an ex-fiancé before."
"True, we will have to see about that. Thank you for giving us some insight."

"Do you think that Miss Markle will also get a title in her own right?"
"I highly doubt it. If they follow through with tradition Harry will be granted a dukedom by his grandmother on the day of his wedding like William did back in 2011 in combination with the title of a Scottish Earl and a Northern Irish Baron. So it is highly likely that Miss Markle will therefore take on the courtesy counterparts becoming a duchess, a countess and baroness subsequently."
"So you do not think we will have a Princess Meghan soon?"
"No I don't. Even though she will become a British princess upon marriage she won't be a princess in her own right like the Princesses Eugenie and Beatrice or Princess Madeleine are. They are princesses in their own right with the title "Princess" being a prefix to their given names. Miss Markle's princess title would be Her Royal Highness Princess Henry of Wales. But it is highly unlikely she will use it if we look back at past royal brides. Catherine could have also been styled as Her Royal Highness Princess William of Wales but chose to be known as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge. It has become the tradition for the princes to be granted a title in their own right so their wives could adapt their own title."
"And the last question, I think is burning under everyone's nails. Will Meghan Markle have to curtsy to Princess Madeleine? I mean lets be honest isn't it a dream come true knowing the new girlfriend of your ex has to curtsy to you?"
"I bet it is for some people, I agree. But than there is the fact that you have to see them at all. That doesn't sound like that much fun."
"True, but I could imagine the curtsy would be a nice compensation."
"Well we know that the younger generation doesn't care so much for the whole curtsying and bowing if it is just them. But technically yes, she would have to. As a princess in her own right Madeleine ranks on one level with the blood princesses. So technically even Kate would have to curtsy to her when the women meet on their own. But whenever Meghan is with Harry she takes on his rank in the order of precedence and then Maddie would have to curtsy to her since she isn't in the line of succession and takes on the rank of a sovereign's daughter in the order of precedence. Meaning she ranks behind the current consort, if it would be a woman, the Queens Dowager, if they would still be alive, the wife of the Prince of Wales, the wives of the sovereigns younger sons and the blood line daughters."
"Wow that is a lot to take in."
"It is. And that is only the order of precedence for an official event. There is another one for private occasions."
"Gosh, we can only hope Meghan has brought a big notebook for all her princess-classes."

"Do you want to talk about it?"
"Nope, absolutely not. I mean I knew they couldn't possibly tell the whole truth but saying they have been set up by a mutual friend is just.... ARGH!"
Maddie gestured wildly with her left hand while trying her best not to throw the phone against a wall.
She knew why she didn't want to watch the interview but after what she had read in the news she realised she had to.
"I mean did he even consider about how that would make me feel? Did he even once think about how this will make either of us look like?"
"Are you pacing around your office, screaming into your phone?"
"I am not screaming. I am angrily shouting."
"I have no idea what had gotten in to him saying that, I am so sorry Maddie."
Maddie slowed down her pacing taking a deep breath.
"I am sorry for shouting at you. None of this has anything to do with you. I am just so... furious." She pressed the last word out between her strongly clenched teeth.
"And you have every right to be."
For a few moments none of them said anything.
"Do you want me to talk to him?"
"No. I wouldn't want to strain your brotherly relationship more than I already have."
"Nonsense. You have done no such thing. I didn't take sides after all. I just didn't throw you out of my circle as one of my closest friends either. Yes he probably didn't like that much but that wasn't his call to make."
"Still what good would it be? He can't reshoot it. It's out there. I guess I will simply have to suck it up. Are they any news yet about the wedding?"
"I don't think so. Kate and I try to stay out of it. Meghan has rather... taken a grip on the whole planning. We thought it would be best to leave the professionals to deal with the keeping of traditions. They will know how to handle her... wishes. Have you heard from Granny yet?"
"About what?"
"Your invitation."
"No I haven't but I had feared something like that." Maddie let herself fall on one of her sofas.
"It might come as a surprise but I am not that keen on going."
"Really? I wouldn't have guessed." William chuckled on the other hand of the phone making Maddie laugh as well.
"But it is the tradition."
"I know." Maddie sighed. "And I also know how it will be received by the public if I won't be there. If I wouldn't care about that I would simply call in sick that day but that is just not how it works."
"I am afraid it's not. It's one of these stiff upper lip occasions. But hey maybe you are already Queen at that point. Then both of them will have to pay their respects to you."
"William Cambridge, do I hear a little bit of gloating in your voice there?"
"I am certain you must be mistaken, M'am for I am always impartial."
"Right, as if my dear." Now Maddie's laughter was a relaxed one.
"Is Henry coming up again any time soon? I mean your Henry? Kate has told me everything."
"Not until after Christmas I am afraid. The days until then are packed with pre-Christmas engagements and when my schedule finally clears up my parents are already meant to arrive. But we will spend the New Years Break together."
"Well that sounds lovely, Maddie. It really does."
"Did Kate actually call him my Henry?"
"She did. Why? Is that too soon?"
"No, no, no. He is officially my Henry but it still sounds kind of weird hearing people refer to him like this."
"But a good kind of weird, right?"
"Oh absolutely. My parents are already nagging me when they will be allowed to meet him but I will try to drag this out a little further. Right now we are in this bubble where it is just him and me. I like it that way. The bubble will burst soon enough and then people around the world will go crazy being interested in our relationship. So I want to protect our bubble for as long as I possibly again."
"I understand this only to well. Oh ah Maddie, Miguel has just come in. I am sorry but we will have to leave it at that for now."
"Of course. Thanks for the call, William. It helped getting it all out."
"Any time, Maddie. Any time. Bye."
"Bye."
Maddie kept the phone in her hand after ending the call.
Her rage had gone down a little bit and her thoughts had cleared up.
She would focus them on her new relationship again. On Henry. On their future.