Chapter 14

The after party saw people mingling and chatting with each other about the film.
Henry stuck close to Ben and Joss who had gathered around a high table.
"It is an amazing movie. Thank you Joss, Zack and you did an amazing job with it."
"Well it was a team effort as always Ben. Our work can only be as good as everything all of you are giving us. What did you think of it Henry?"
Henry's eyes wandered around looking for Maddie among the other guests.
"Henry?" Joss tipped on his shoulder.
There she was. Standing next to Kate chatting to Gal Gadot.
"Henry Cavill."
"Yes? I am sorry, ah... What were you saying, Ben?" Henry's eyes were still focussed on Maddie but he had turned his head slightly towards Ben and Joss who now curiously followed his eye line.
"Ben didn't say anything, I asked you what you... Oh. That is why you are so absentminded."
Joss had seen Maddie on the other side of the room.
"You should have seen him at the lineup earlier. He was completely at a loss for words when they were introduced. Oh right you were there too."
"So what are waiting for, Henry? Go talk to her." Joss tried to push him slightly into her direction.
"I can't just go over there and talk to her." Henry finally brought himself to look away and back at his colleges. Or more appropriately down into his scotch glass. He shook it carefully in small circles.
"Why not? There is no better time than now. You have already been introduced to her and the chances of you seeing her other again elsewhere are relatively slim. Which can be good or bad depending on how the conversation you are going to have will go. And I can tell you one thing, if you are really are that enchanted by her you will never forgive yourself if you don't go and talk to her tonight."
"Joss is right, Henry. Go and give it chance." Ben gave him a comforting pad on the back.
"Okay but what would I say to her?"
"Jesus Henry there so many things you could talk about. You are at a bloody movie-premiere. You could ask her about the film, how her night is going or you could simply apologise for being so starstruck earlier and assure her that you not always this shy."
Henry took a deep breath in before looking over to her again.
Maddie's eyes wandered around the room locking with his for a second and she gave him the same warm smile that had left him speechless before.
"Alright, now or never, right?" He took another deep breath before crossing the room.
Kate and Gal had just left the table as Henry arrived.
"So what did you think of the movie, Your Royal Highness?"
"It was great fun. I have to admit it was my first super hero film so I don't have much to compare it to but I think it was great. And..." She leaned in a little over the table to whisper: "You really don't have to call me that. I am Madeleine." And extended her hand again
Henry could smell her perfume. It was a floral mixture of rose and vanilla.
"Is that appropriate?" He whispered.
"In a professional environment certainly not but now we are not being introduced as actor and princess but as people. Or at least I hope so." She smiled encouragingly.
"I am very pleased to meet you, Madeleine. I am Henry and very sorry for what happened earlier." Henry shook her hand.
"At the red carpet?"
"Yes." He looked down on his Whisky glass he still hadn't taken a sip out of. "Maybe we can just forget about it?"
"About us meeting or about you not talking?" Still smiling she took a small sip from her glass of champagne.
"The latter."
"Of course. You wouldn't believe how often this has happened to me since I took on that role, but not with a famous actor like you. But then people always seem to forget that I am just like them as soon as they hear the title."
"That must be difficult."
Maddie nodded finally daring to look at him closely. She had been taught to keep it simple when meeting new people to minimise the conversation but still giving them a good feeling afterwards.
"I am so sorry, this was way too personal way too quickly." Now Maddie was the one looking down on her glass.
Henry tilted his head slightly to still catch her eyeline.
"Please this was the least you could do to make me feel better after earlier."
Both of them shared a laugh making them feel comfortable again.
"I guess you have a point there. I bet usually it is you who gets that sort of reaction."
"I would be lying if I would disagree." Henry finally took a sip of his whisky.
"What kind of whisky are you having?"
"To be honest I don't know. Rudely enough I didn't listen when the bartender handed it to me." Henry looked into his glass again. "But I should definitely find out. This is a good one."
"May I smell it?"
"Sorry?"
"Oh this probably came out pretty plump. I am sorry. But if I smell it I might be able to tell you what kind of whiskey it is."
"Really?" Henry looked at her in surprise.
"Well since living up in Scotland I have been to one or two distilleries and have discovered quite the Scottish whiskey lover in myself."
"Alright, please be my guest." He carefully handed her his glass watching her observantly as she took a noseful.
"Thankfully there are no photographers allowed here. Otherwise that would have been the perfect story for tomorrows news papers." Maddie giggled handing Henry his glass back.
"Nah, tomorrow's news are the day after that's fishpapers."
"True. I am not quite sure but its probably one of two brands. Do you have a pen on you?"
Henry checked his jacket. Usually he always carried one with him for autographs.
"Yes, here you go."
"Thanks." Maddie scribbled the two names on the napkin passing pen and napkin back to him over the table like they were spies on a secret mission.
"How long are staying for tonight?"
"I am afraid not long. Kate didn't want to overstay her fitness on her first day back and... Oh too personal again. You must promise not to tell anyone."
"I promise." Finally it was Henry's turn to give an encouraging smile.
He took a deep breath in summoning every ounce of courage he had. "I would very much like to see you again, Madeleine. I have no idea if it is appropriate to say this but I would probably regret it for the rest of my life if didn't ask you out for dinner."
"Maddie are you ready to leave?" Kate approached the table not aware of the situation she had bumped into.
"Yes, ahem... can you give me one more minute?"
Kate let her eyes wander between Henry and Maddie immediately taking a step back.
"Of course. Take all the time you need. I will be right over there." She turned towards Henry. "Mr Cavill it was a pleasure meeting you today. The movie was fantastic."
"Thank you, Your Royal Highness." He bowed his head while Kate left the table grinning like a Cheshire Cat.
"So are you going to?"
"Sorry?"
"Are you going to ask me out for dinner?"
Henry smiled shyly looking up and at Maddie again.
"Ah, yes. Would you like to go out for dinner with me tomorrow?"
"I would love to, thank you very much."
They quickly exchanged their phone numbers to text over the details later.
"It was a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Cavill."
"The honour was all mine, Your Royal Highness." Henry wanted to bow his head but Maddie cut him short by extending her hand. He took it adumbrating a hand kiss.
One last smile and Maddie made her way over to Kate who couldn't stop grinning.
"What did I tell you about your superhero?"
"Stop it."  Maddie chuckled as they went to the car waiting to take them back to Kensington Palace.
"But he did ask you out, didn't he?"
"Yes he did." Maddie looked down on her bag feeling her face heating up.
"You are blushing my dear."
"I am not."
"Oh yes, you are. I want all the details as soon as we are in the car."
On their way back Maddie filled Kate in on everything.
"Well that sounds perfect. You are staying for another two days anyway aren't you?"
"Yes, I have a free day tomorrow and it is scheduled that I will accompany the Queen on her visit to a hospital the day after that."
"Marvellous. We are definitely having breakfast together tomorrow. We need to tell Will everything. And I need to ask my private secretary if there's is any time tomorrow for me to accompany you to find the perfect dress for your date."
"It is not a date."
"Hm.. let me think about that. Two people, single, good looking and apparently smitten with one another going out for dinner. Yes you are right, what was I thinking. That doesn't sound like a date at all."
"Ooookay, maybe it is a date." Maddie went quiet.
"Oh no, no, no, no, no. Don't do that to yourself now."
"Do what?"
"You are asking yourself wether you are ready for that."
"Kate it is spooky how well you know me by now."
"Maddie, my dear, it has been such a long time now and you deserve it to find someone who loves you and as a matter of fact looks at you the way he just did in there. It is true you can not know if he is the one but you will never find him if you don't look out for him."
"I think I am just scared of trusting someone again."
"I get that, trust me, I do. But give this Henry a chance to prove himself better than what Harry did to you. Be honest about your fear. And try to let go to see where it leads you. Can you promise me that?" She took Maddie's hand to give it a tight squeeze.
"I will try." Maddie put her hand on top of Kate's.
She was right. She had to give him a chance.