Chapter 24

As expected the streets were lined with thousands of people trying to catch a last glimpse of Maddie as princess.
Everybody was waving and cheering as the carriage drove by.
The new national anthem echoed though the streets.
Maddie smilingly waved trying to see every single person.
Almost two years ago she had made the decision to move to Scotland trying to get away from London, from her past with Henry, from the scrutiny of basically everybody trying to find out how she was managing after her engagement to Henry had been ended.
Never in a million years could she have imagined this.
People lining the streets cheering her.
Her hard work had paid off.
She had arrived in Edinburgh wanting to learn everything. Not only about Scotland and it's eventful past but also about it's people and traditions. About everything that had made Scotland Scotland.
There had been many discussions within her inner circle to which degree the government tried to use her as Trojan horse to achieve their independence just to get rid her of again after a couple years. But Maddie had made a decision for herself. That was something she would never know with absolute certainty therefore something she would have to find peace with to not grow insane. She wanted to make the most fo this chance. To make a change not for herself but for her country. For her people.
She realised that for the first time she actually believed it.
Her country.
Her people.
In all her life she had never felt as much home as she did in Scotland no matter where she was in the country.
The cheers got louder and louder drawing Maddie back into the present.
The carriage had almost reached the castle.
Thousands of people stood in a large crowd in the forecourt of it.
On both sides of the bridge she could already spot the two stages. They had been raised from he floor so the seated guest were able to follow the ceremony.
The seated guest included world leaders, representatives from all European Royal families and royal families around the world. Everybody had been surprised as to how well almost every nation had accepted the new independent Scotland.
The vote had been celebrated around the world as an act of real democracy.
The Queen had personally agreed to be part of the celebrations. Not only because anything else would have caused a diplomatic incidence with unforeseeable consequences but also because she wanted to support Maddie. Even though she could have never foreseen any of these events she was proud of her for not only finding her way but staying on it. And doing everything in the name of duty.
She was joined by Prince Philip, Prince Charles, Camilla, William and Kate.
Right next to Kate Maddie could spot Henry. He looked nothing short of dashing in his dark blue suit. The thistle on his left chest had been his own idea. The media would go crazy after spotting him among the guests so he wanted to show his support openly.
Maddie's parents were seated right next to him followed by other European royal family members.
The cheering got even louder as the carriage stopped in front of the Stone of Scone and Maddie exited it.
She took a moment to look around waving to the crowd causing them to cheer even louder.
The whole forecourt was flooded by an endless sea of Scottish flags.
Maddie's eyes caught Henry's. Just a brief moment but still something that was only between them even though the whole world had their eyes on Maddie.
She slowly made her way over the bridge inside the castle where even more people lined the street leading up to the chapel.
Phil accompanied her right up to the door of the small chapel.
"Remember, five minutes." He whispered adding an encouraging smile before Maddie entered the chapel finally being alone for the first and probably last time that day.
Maddie took a few more steps towards the end of the chapel and started to wonder how many people before her had been standing here thinking about their future.
She looked down on her sash, straightening it while taking a deep breath.
"I can."
Just a few moments later she heard the knock on the door.
Slowly and with a straight back she walked over to the memorial to pay her respects.
On her return to the courtyard the Duke of Hamilton carrying the Crown of Scotland started to walk out of the courtyard back towards the forecourt.
Maddie followed him before all of the members of parliament followed them led by their speaker Mr. McGuff.
The procession was accompanied by two bagpipers playing.
The Duke of Hamilton took his position in front of the stone followed by Maddie and Mr McGuff.
Maddie took the two steps up to the little stage turning around so she could face the crowd while standing in front of the stone.
During rehearsals she had also been extremely worried about the part where she would have to sit down on the stone given that the stone wasn't as tall as a normal chair even though they had put it on a little pedestal.
Mr McGuff approached the Duke who handed over the Crown before also stepping up standing on Maddie's left side.
The bagpipers stopped playing and without any further sign the crowd went quiet with anticipation.
"Madeleine Sophie, do you solemnly swear to the people of Scotland to always observe and uphold the constitution and to always defend and preserve, with all your power, it's independence and territorial integrity?"
"I solemnly swear it."
"Do you solemnly swear to dedicate all your efforts to the well-being of the Scottish people as well as their public and individual liberties?"
"I solemnly swear it. I solemnly promise to act rightfully and impartially for the sake of all citizens and to perform my duties in the name of the Scottish people. All this I solemnly promise so to do."
Maddie slowly sat down on the stone.
"So I crown you, Madeleine Sophie, as our new Queen."
He stepped in front of her to place the crown on her head.
Even though Maddie had worn the crown during the rehearsals to get used to the weight it surprised her.
"Queen Madeleine of Scotland. Long may she reign and live." Mr McGuff stated after he had stepped aside so everyone could see her.
The crowd erupted into cheers even louder than before chanting "Queen Madeleine, Queen Madeleine" before the bagpipers started to play the new national anthem "Flower of Scotland".
Maddie stood up not joining in though. It had been decided that she should just take it all in this time. She would join in on every occasion after today.
Maddie did take it all in. She watched how all the people in front of her proudly sang the anthem wholeheartedly.
The international guests of course didn't join in but payed their respects standing still in dignified silence.
One look to their stage brought Maddie close to tears though as she saw that Henry had joined in. He stood there singing the Scottish anthem.
After the anthem had been sung Maddie waved to the people while the carriage pulled up in front of her to take her back to the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
The drive back became a sheer triumph. The people lining the streets cheered and waved so loudly they almost cancelled out the bagpipers accompanying the procession.
Back at the palace Maddie was led straight to the throne room where a new throne had been placed.
It was one of the chairs that had stood there before but the insignias of Queen Elizabeth had been removed so had been the red covering to be replaced with blue velvet with a gold "M" monogram and an embroidery of the Scottish crown on top on the backrest.
Maddie sat down still wearing the crown.
Phil approached her.
"How are you doing You Majesty?" Smiling he smoothed out the skirt of her dress a little.
"Like this is all a dream."
"It is not, M'am."
"If it were the headache wouldn't be here probably." Maddie tried to laugh but she couldn't move her head other than slightly to each side. "How long do have to keep it on, Phil?"
"Just for the pictures, the speech, meeting the guests oh honour and showing yourself to your public one last time today, M'am. You will have short break before giving your speech. I..." He paused to look around if anyone stood close to them before whispering: "Mr Cavill will be waiting for you in your living room for your break."
Maddie's eyes began to fog as soon as Phil had said his name.
"Thank you, Phil." She reached out to squeeze his hand again.
Without him she probably wouldn't be here today. He had not only been her Private secretary and over the months had become a close friend he was also a trusted adviser.