Chapter 18

"Her Royal Highness Princess Madeleine of Edinburgh, Sir."
The butler bowed his head while Maddie curtsied before approaching Charles and greeting him with a kiss on the cheek.
"My dear it so nice to finally see you again. How are you?"
Charles gestured to the sofas by the windows for Maddie to take a seat.
She had been to Highgrove a couple of times before but never by herself.
"I'm very good, thank you. And thank you for the invitation. I haven't been here since... To be honest I cant even remember."
"See that is a sign that it has been far too long. I have asked for tea to be ready an hour after your arrival. Camilla will join us so we can properly catch up but I thought it would be nice to have some time just for the two of us before that. There are some things I would like to talk to you about. And of course I am still curious about your visitor from last weekend but I will spare you these questions until later so you don't have to tell the story twice."
Charles gave her a friendly wink.
He had been the one she was most surprised by after being introduced to him. Charles had a kind heart and a very strong mind. When he wanted to do something he would do everything he could to learn about it and wouldn't stop until he knew how. Once he was interested in a cause nothing could shake him. He planted himself as strong as a tree and nobody could change his mind about that. It was something Maddie admired about him. He had found a way to make his life, his time count. Even in a position most people thought about as being stuck he had found a way to make his mark and take his place without being pushy. He had fully accepted his role within the family and the monarchy.
"Thank you." Maddie smiled, still eagerly to know what this invitation was really about. Most likely about Harry's recent engagement.
"I am sure you are wondering why I have invited you here other than to ask about your weekend."
"I have to admit that I do."
Charles took a deep breath in. "I am sure you are aware of Harry's new engagement."
He paused looking directly at Maddie trying to read her face as to how to proceed.
Maddie kept her face perfectly under control not moving a muscle. Her hands rested firmly in her lap, her feet steadily planted on the ground.
"I have. Kate told me right away after she had learned about it. I think that was right the night that it happened."
"So this doesn't come as a surprise to you."
"No. But I have to admit it did at then. This all went... rather quickly."
"I agree. I'm tempted to say almost at light speed."
Maddie nodded not quite sure how to proceed with this particular conversation.
"How are you feeling about this, Maddie?"
She let out a sigh trying to put her feelings into words.
"To be honest Charles, I don't know. When I heard about it I was hurt. Naturally I guess. It all happened so quickly between these two. But on the other hand if they really love each other who am I to judge either one of them? I believe in love and marriage so I wouldn't be true to myself if I would say anything other than that. Will the hurt stay? The feeling of betrayal? I am sure it will for a while, but it will ease and you know me, I try not to hold grudges."
"That is true. One of the things that makes you so special, my dear. You really do have one of the biggest hearts I know."
Maddie looked down on her hands. It felt weird getting this compliment from Charles. It felt like he was taking her side no matter how much he was saying he wasn't. But it also gave her comfort.
"Thank you, Charles. It means a lot to me hearing you say this. But never the less Her Majesty did let me know that Miss Markle will be there for Christmas as soon as it was clear so I asked for her permission to spend Christmas with my parents this year. Up in Scotland."
"I am sure she was more than happy to grant this, wasn't she?"
"She was. It was incredibly generous."
"Well, Mummy knows just how seriously you take your duties so she is more than happy to let you get away with a thing or two now and then. As a matter of fact how is the work for the referendum going? I want you to know that I will support the decision no matter what it will end up being. That I will support you."
"It is a lot of work at the moment for everyone I think. The politicians are working tirelessly handing me engagement after engagement to keep the Scottish people on track. But I have to admit I like it. I get to meet so many people everyday and hear their stories. It feels like I am getting to know Scotland and it's people on a whole new level."
"I can not tell you how happy I am to hear this. I am not going to lie during the first referendum we all hoped for the outcome we got. But I guess one knew that eventually it would happen again. But now with you up there we all know that Scotland will not be lost to us or the United Kingdom. The bond between the two countries will remain, so what more could we ask for."
"I simply hope I can keep up with all the expectations and the faith put in me."
"I am sure you will, my dear. I am very sure you will."

"So Madeleine, who was this mysterious guest Kate told us about?"
Camilla had joined them for tea and both, Charles and her, made no attempt to hide their curiosity about the mysterious gentleman.
"His name is Henry Cavill." Just saying his name out loud made Maddie smile instantly.
"Henry? Is that a coincidence or just fate?" Camilla tried to hide her grin politely behind her napkin.
"It is okay, Camilla." Maddie joined in on her laughter. "I have been asking myself the same question."
"What is he like?"
"He is incredible kind and warm. And very funny and caring. He made me laugh so much during his stay. He has a dog he loves very much and he is an outdoor person. I am sorry for using the word and so much but there are simply no limits to my describing him."
"Judging form the smile you are wearing all so proudly he seems to be a good man."
"He is. Oh my god I am sorry. I didn't want to brag about him in front of you, Charles."
"Please, my dear, don't mind me. I am just as curious as Camilla. And what I told you two years ago still stands. You will always be part of this family. Of my family. So what is it your Henry does for a living again?"
Her Henry.
It was the first time someone had said it like this.
"He is an actor."
"Fascinating. That seems to be going around. Would we know him from anything?"
"He portrayed Charles Brendon in the TV series "The Tudors"."
"Ah yes, I remember that show. I thought it was rather brilliant. Maybe a bit explicit in some scenes but overall a great piece of work."
"You have watched it?"
"Maddie, just because I am old man doesn't mean I have bad taste in TV shows."
"He does rather take in interest in them when he finds one he likes."
"And there lies the problem. Finding one I like that is not pure rubbish or a waste of time."
"I will let him know that you enjoyed that show."
"I hope I get to tell him myself one day when we are properly introduced to one another, my dear."
"I am sure you will. But to be honest all of those details are still very much ahead of me. For now I just enjoy the time we spend together as much as I possibly can."
"That is the right thing to do, Maddie. Just be careful please. Take it from me, the media will go wild as soon as they learn about this." Camilla's words were full with concern and honesty. She didn't want Maddie to go through another personal disaster.
"I am. I will be. We have both made the decision to keep this absolutely quiet. Neither of us wants to attract any attention to our connection at the moment. We know that we will have to owe up to it eventually when things get more serious. But until then we enjoy the time we have as quietly as possible. Just for us."