Chapter 25

Maddie closed the door behind her, leaning her back against it letting out a deep breath with her eyes closed. She still had to hold her head high and straight to avoid the crown breaking it.
As soon as she opened her eyes she saw him.
"Your Majesty." Henry bowed his head smilingly.
"You don't have to do that." Maddie lowered her eyes to the floor.
"But I want to. You did great out there." Henry stepped in closer to cut down the space between them. He placed his hands on her hips pulling her closer until their faces were only millimetres apart.
"You sang the anthem." Maddie whispered.
"You saw that?"
Maddie tried to nod only to remember the heavy crown on her head. "I can't wait to take that off."
"You look stunning my darling." Henry placed his left hand on her cheek to plant a soft kiss on her lips.
A knock on the door behind them interrupted their shared moment.
"So that will be it from now on, right? You getting asked away all the time?" Henry raised his other hand to place it on Maddie's other cheek.
"For today and the next days for sure but it will get lesser one day. But yes my life will change and your's with it if you are staying in mine. I know I am asking a lot of you but I hope you will..."
Henry stopped her with a kiss.
"I love you Madeleine, and I will always stay with you no matter what it takes."
Maddie's eyes started to fog up so he gave her another kiss.
"I love you Henry."
"And I love you, to the moon and back."
Another knock stopped them from another kiss.
"I see you at dinner tonight." Maddie whispered before turning around, taking a deep breath and opening the door.
Phil guided her back to the throne room where she was supposed to give her speech.
The room was now filled with many guests, Scottish politicians, world leaders and members of many different royal families. And not to forget the TV cameras that were meant to record her speech.
Maddie took the three steps up to her throne before turning around to face all the people who had their eyes fixed on her.
"A coronation day has throughout history always been a turning point not only for the country itself and it's people but for their neighbours and friends around the world. It symbolised a new beginning, a new chapter for everyone. The symbols and memorabilia used during the ceremony today have been witness to many coronations in the past and have seen many monarchs rule this country. Today their use not only marked another coronation but a new start for Scotland, the official beginning of it's reestablished independence. So I see this day as a promise for our collective future. A promise that Scotland will take it's peaceful place in this world, in this union of nations. This is what I vowed to you and that is what will abide by for the rest of my life. I will dedicate it to your service and to our country, to uphold our standards of freedom for every man, woman and child, to grant and protect the equality of each and every citizen and person living within our borders. To all of the people who have joined the celebrations today, who came from every corner of our country to line the streets I want to say: Thank you. Thank you for your support and your faith. We will walk this path into the future together."
Maddie stood still to allow for the photographers to take their pictures as Phil had instructed her to.
The guests applauded before Phil gave an almost invisible nod. They had agreed before hand that this meant he was ready to guide everyone of the guests in front of the throne for them to meet and get introduced to her so she carefully stepped down from the elevated throne floor.
It took over an hour until she had met every guest of honour and had shaken their hands. She was more than relieved when the last guest had passed her. Two guardsmen approached her and saluted before walking out of the throne room for her to follow.
They led her down the stairs and through to main gate of the palace opening out into the forecourt.
Outside they took their positions on each side of the gate while Maddie took a few more steps outside looking at the crowd that stood in front of the fountain and around it filling the whole area.
The cheering and clapping took on an ear-battering volume as soon as Maddie started to wave to them. The clicking of the cameras joint in.
Maddie held on tightly for ten minutes smiling and waving before returning inside.
Suddenly the exhaustion crept up on her but the day wasn't done yet. There was still a dinner and a ball to get through.
The change of her make up, hair, dress and jewellery meant at least a short break.
From now on she would wear a tiara instead of the heavy crown. The Queen had gifted her the tiara she had already given to her as a loan together with some of her private jewellery.
The dinner went by flawlessly. Maddie's parents sat close to her as well as Henry. No press had been invited to the dinner but they would be part of the ball at least for the first hour to get the last impressions of the grand finale of this coronation day.
Maddie left the dining room first but had to wait until everyone had entered the ballroom. Phil guided her into a small sitting room where two people already waited to give her make up a little touch up.
"Phil?"
"Yes, M'am?"
"There has been no decision about whom I will open the ball with, correct?"
"Yes, M'am, you wanted to keep this option open so nobody would be snubbed before hand."
"I want to dance with Henry."
"Are you aware what this will entail, M'am?" Phil's voice left a hint of worry but also of pride.
"Yes, I am. I love him and he will be a permanent part of my life so I want the public to know him. He was at the ceremony today so they will have taken pictures oh him already anyway. This dance will make it somewhat official and when everything has calmed down a bit after today we will put out an official statement."
"Very well, M'am." He gave her one of his warm smiles. "The statement will be ready whenever you want to publish it."
Maddie smiled and simply pulled him in for a tight hug leaving the make up artists to jump out of the way not to be meddled up in the hug.
And for the first time that day she felt herself fully relaxing even if just for a second.
She would no longer hide her love, she would longer give in to the thoughts of having to explain their relationship to anyone.
She would live her life in every way and promise she had made today. A life of service and dedication to her people and her country.