Part Eight - Eli Foster

Zac's POV //

She relaxed in my arms, I could tell she was debating with herself, whether to open up or not. I'm not going to force her to talk about it, she's her own person and whatever it is must be really bad. 

"I'm here, you're okay. I got you" I whispered, running my hand through her hair. 

She took deep breaths, nodding to herself. 

"Two years ago, we all went out to dinner. It was great, they surprised me with a cake, y'know dad, he made a big deal, sung so loudly even Eli was embarrassed" Her voice was steady. 

"We drove there separately. I was behind and when I turned onto the street that lead to our house... there smoke and sirens" My heart ached, please don't say what I think. 

I held back tears, trying to compose myself. Bracing myself for the impact of her next words. 

"It was them, Z. A drunk driver ran the light. Dad put himself in front, took most of the impact, to protect them" 

Them. Her mother and Eli. Tears spilled, both of us silently crying so I wrapped my arms around her waist, pressing my head against her shoulder. 

"Eli survived. I went with him to the hospital but that's when they told me. They didn't make it. They didn't make it" Her voice cracked, cries following. 

I held her, protecting her as if we were there. She dealt with this all alone. 

"I'm so sorry" I managed to say, making her turn to face me, wrapping her arms around me. 

She was comforting me. I pulled her closer, rubbing her back. 

"I never said it, Z. I never said I love you back" she whimpered, her body shivering in mine. 

I shut my eyes, resting it against the counter. I heard rustling, zip, unzip, paper. 

"Can you read this?" An envelope, a card inside. It was her mothers handwriting in front. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat, taking it from her shaking hands. 

Feeling my finger cautiously slide under the seal, breaking it. The card was beautiful, untouched. 

I took a deep breath before opening it, the sight of her mothers handwriting piercing my heart. 

'Our Dearest Liliana, 

Happy 20th Birthday Angel!

I feel blessed to have raised you and to call you my daughter. 

As you enter a new phase of life, trust yourself at every turn. You are mature and wise, and will draw people to you with the same genuine heart. 

Listen to yourself. I know you will never lead yourself astray. Take care of yourself like you are the most precious girl in the world - because you are. 

I am beyond proud of you, for everything you have done. You never fail to amaze us. 

You have the most gentlest, kindest, most considerate of souls. We admire the way you carry yourself, you always seem in control of life, even when things aren't going to plan. 

You are wise beyond your years. In a crowd, you shine. We love you!

Always remember; You're okay. These wounds will heal, they'll go away but our love for you won't ever. It's permanent

Love, 

Mum & Dad ♡'

My voice was hoarse by the time I finished reading, her tears soaking my shirt as mine dripped onto her bare shoulder. 

"I'm so sorry, my Ana. I'm so sorry you went through this alone, I'm so sorry" I whispered, pulling her closer to me. 

I didn't ever want to let her go, to have her feel pain ever again. 

The next ten minutes was silent, the both of us calming down, reflecting. I thought about my time with her parents, with Eli. He came to every fight, every training and would copy every move. 

Her parents were the sweetest, they came to the fights as well and after, we'd head to a new restaurant. It was a tradition. It was. 

Her breathing slowed down, she was tired. "Let's get you to bed" I whispered, carrying her. 

I laid her down gently, she looked tiny in my bed. I grabbed a shirt, her favourite shirt of mine to be specific. She used to wear it when we were dating, I kept it for that reason. 

I also put out a pair of shorts, they'll be too big but it's better than nothing. 

"You don't have to turn around y'know" She spoke up, rustling in the bed. 

I shook my head, "I'm respecting your privacy Ana" 

Once I heard a plop, I  knew she was done, lying in bed. 

Her tear stained cheeks, glossy eyes and slow breathing. My girl was exhausted.

I took my shirt off, joining her in bed only to hear her scoff. 

"I know damn well you sleep in just your boxers" She mumbled, her eyes were shut. 

I didn't argue back, just did as she said before pulling the blanket over us. I was sat against the headboard, watching as she rolled over until her body touched mine, relaxing. 

I ran my hands through her hair, knowing it would help her sleep and she did within seconds before her eyes shot open. 

"I- my phone" she panted, reaching for it and holding it with the tightest grip.

 I'm surprised it didn't snap right there. She scrolled and tapped until it began ringing. 

I watched as she shut her eyes, waiting. It disconnected, making her brows furrow. She tried again and this time, I realised what she was doing. 

Her mother had a voicemail with all their voices. 

Her phone flew across the room, landing on the floor. I caressed her face, wiping away the tears. 

My heart is breaking for her, that could have been the only thing to help alleviate this somehow yet it's gone. She's hurting more than before. 

I waited until I knew she was asleep, placing a gently kiss against her cheek before getting out of bed. 

I walked out to the living room, spotting my laptop on the table. 

Knowing Ana, she can't bare to look back at photos or videos of them. That hearing the voicemail was a big step for her.

I opened the folder, seeing photos and videos load on the screen. My chest tightened, hearing their voices. I needed to do this for her. 

"Hi, I'm Eli Foster and this is proof that I knew the Zac Miller before he was famous" 

Funny little kid. Eli. What happened to Eli? She said he survived so where is he now?