[JAKE] Hoping Mr. Sim

Hoping Mrs. Lee

Chapter 2: An Unexpected Engagement

She was excited.

Oh, clearly she was.

With the bright-red gumamela in her hair and a brilliant new jewel shining from her finger, she strolled through the fields, eager to meet with her dear friend.

And there he was.

"Jake!" she cried out, soon speeding up and making her way to the boy who sat on a bench.

The boy heard her, and soon he saw her, and a smile formed on his own face as he looked towards her through his sunlight-reflecting glasses. "Lucilla!" he cried out, quickly hiding a box he had been holding in his hands up until recently when he saw the girl. "You look happy. What brings you here all sunny like that?"

The girl giggles, skipping back and letting her dress flutter in the breeze while she keeps her hands behind her back. "Haven't you heard?" she asks, her tone bubbling with pure joy. "There's a huge event coming up!"

At that, the boy's brows furrow in confusion and question. He hadn't heard of a big event coming up so far. Whether it be a festival or the king's birthday, there's none he knows of.

He looks towards his female friend for answers, but he only becomes even more confused when she starts giggling again. "Lucilla... what event are you talking about?" he asks, laughing nervously as he admits to his ignorance.

Only, it wasn't ignorance as he would soon know.

And Lucilla, the girl, smiles widely as she raises her left hand and holds it close to his face, showcasing the diamond ring that rests on one of her fingers. The boy's eyes widen, and the girl's smile brightens even more as she tilts her head to meet the boy's eyes. "Jake... I'm engaged."

And as soon as Jake, the boy, did grasp that news, did his smile falter... and his hand holding the ring-box in his pocket lost its hold.

"W-what... 'Engaged'?" he asks, dumbfounded.

Lucilla, having noticed that, laughs at her friend's reaction. "I know. Shocking, right?" she asks, giggling once again.

The boy looks towards her, then with his shocked appearance unchanging, he asks her, "... To whom?"

The girl smiles, then she fidgets shyly as she fiddles with her fingers. "Mr. Lee, the young baron. He finally asked my hand in marriage, can you believe it?"

Oh, her smile was so bright and so genuine.

And her joy, so pure and innocent.

Jake could have done anything to be the reason for those to happen.

But now, it has been done by someone else.

And the least he could do is be happy for her and let her smile and joy last as long as they could.

"Of course," he can only mumble as he feigned a smile, "the young baron... I'm happy for you, Lucilla."

And yet, his heart refused to stop beating for her.

Much so when the girl so suddenly hugged him in her excitement. And so tightly, too.

"Thank you so much, Jake! I was worried you wouldn't consent to this," she says.

The boy only smiles faintly as he hugged the girl gently, much against his fast-beating heart that asked for a much tighter embrace...

And soon, in a week or so, the wedding commenced!