9. The World of (In)visible Places

Luna was glad to escape the starry ceiling and the light of the moon that shone down on her there, whispering promises and temptations Luna wished she didn't want. She knew Sam was glad to leave too, though for slightly different reasons, she supposed. Out here, they could stand at the back of the queue of students and nor worry about people walking through Sam. Out there, there was no moon to taunt him. Because though the moon had always been kind to Luna, offering escapes and freedoms she sorely wanted, it had been cruel to Sam. What it had said or done, Luna never knew and by now, knew better than to ask. What she knew was that Sam didn't like the moon. Even when it was a mere sliver in the sky. And when it was full... well. That one Luna knew why he hated.

Sighing, Luna pulled her thoughts back to the moment, glancing around as they walked through a grand hall that seemed to have hallways and stairs branching out in every direction. Opposite them were a set of large double doors that seemed to soar up to the ceiling. Luna wondered vaguely how anyone would manage to open those before she remembered that this was a magic school and sure some door-opening magic existed.

If it did, however, she was, apparently, not about to find out. Their little group, lead by the two prefects, headed straight up a large marble staircase on their left that swept along the edge of the hall and disappeared into the next level. As they reached the top of the steps, the girl in the lead paused and stared upwards, leaving the younger students behind her to glance around and mumble amongst themselves, wondering what was happening. Not knowing what else to do, Luna decided to follow the girl's example and looked up. She was not the only one, either. There were gasps and Luna nearly stumbled in shock.

Above them was a huge column going straight up through the school, right to the roof, it seemed. Across it stretched dozens of staircases, all of which seemed to be moving, swinging from one landing to another without any apparent pattern, or, apparently, concern for those using them

"West side," the girl prefect said after a moment of study. "This way."

"It's a good idea," the tall boy added, glancing back at them as they started off again, "To check the staircases before you get on them. They like to change and can't be bothered to listen to anyone really." He wrinkled his nose at this as though rather put out by the fact that the staircase didn't pay him much mind. "Helen here's a whizz at figuring it out," he added after a moment, "but unfortunately, she's terrible at explaining it."

At the front, the other prefect - Helen - snorted. "You just... look," she huffed with the air of someone who had said this before. "I don't know what else to say. But," she added, her voice now a little calmer, "When in doubt, always try to east side. I tried to write up a formula for it once, and that didn't work, but I did learn that the east side staircases are the least temperamental. I think it might be because there's more windows over there"

Luna, who had been watching this entire interaction with a frankly puzzled expression, glanced now at Pandora, wondering if she was the only one who found this a rather odd thing to have in a school. She found no trace of confusion there, however, so she tried Sam instead. But Sam was simply staring around in wonder, his face lit.

"Oh this place is good," he muttered more, Luna thought, to himself than to her.

She didn't respond. Good wasn't her first reaction, but... well. She couldn't deny it was interesting. Especially the part about the staircases not listening to anyone. She wondered if she might be able to make them listen to her. Or if they really were just that independent. Then again, independent things could be made friends with so perhaps she would try either way.

For now, at least, Helen proved to be correct and the staircases didn't seem to be much in the mood to cooperate. It took them a few tries on the third floor before catching a staircase that stood still on what was apparently the East side. How Helen knew that, Luna had no idea at all, especially since all she could see out the windows was pitch blackness, but she didn't ask. Partly because it didn't seem important and partly because she was rather enjoying the fact that no one at all was paying her any attention. Even Pandora had gotten caught up in conversation with others and Luna was left to walk side by side and hand in hand with her Sam and enjoy the invisibility the moment offered her.