Chapter One

I wanted to ignore my mom who was calling me from down stairs, but she screeched that if I didn't answer her I was grounded. Which was a joke, that hasn't worked since I was twelve. I marked the page of the book I was reading with a old candy wrapper that was laying on the floor, tossed the book on my lime green bed cover that was blinding. You think your favorite color is lime green when your ten. I opened my bedroom door yelled that I would be right down then headed for the stairs.

My brother Cale went flying past me nearly knocking me down the steep stairwell. "Watch what you are doing Small Fry." My brother said as he took the steps two at a time. He jumped the last six steps, just to piss me off.

"Show off," I muttered under my breath but screamed. "Don't, call me that." Not that he would listen, he's been calling me that for as long as I could remember.

I sighed and continued down the stairs. I headed to the study, unfortunately Cale and my dad were in the study with her. So either I was in trouble or Cale had won another award or something to that affect. It wasn't my fault that my brother excelled at every thing and the only thing that I was good at was shopping. I did have a natural talent for several forms of martial arts but haven't taken any classes for years now. Shopping and boys got in the way.

I smiled at my parents when I entered the room and glared at Cale. I didn't care that it was his birthday today. He was never nice to me on my birthday so I'm just returning the favor. My parents were talking quietly in the corner and Cale was laying on the couch smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

"You look happy and I know it's not just because it's your birthday. What did you win now." I said as I pushed his feet off the couch and sat down.

"Hey, watch it or I'll tell mom you were out last night."

"Go ahead. I asked permission."

"What ever." I gave Cale another dirty look and was going to tell him he sucks when my mom interrupted my would be verbal assault.

"Minnow, I'm glad your here we need to talk. Something has happened." The sadness in her voice scared me but it couldn't be that bad because Cale was still smiling. Right away I thought something bad happened to my best friend Jamie, since my whole family was in the room with me.

"What happened to Jamie?"

"What?" Both my parents said at the same time. "This has nothing to do with Jamie, this has to do with your brother."

"Thank god."

"Sorry honey, we didn't mean to upset you but."

"But what," I asked when my mom didn't continue. Sometimes the way my mom tries to explain things was beyond confusing. The room grew quite and when neither of my parents said anything I looked at Cale. He was shaking with excitement, I thought he was going to jump out of his skin. After several more seconds of silence Cale jumped off the couch and put his arm around mom.

"If you two don't tell her, I will. I'm excited and no one is going to wreck this for me." When both our parents still didn't open there mouths to say anything I started to get worried all over again, Cale looked too happy and my parents looked miserable.

"Three days ago, I changed into a vampire. There she knows, now can we go out for dinner, I'm starving."

"Cale," both my parents said at the same time, my mom hit him on the head with the back of her hand.

"What I told her, the secret is out ." I started laughing because Cale said it with such a straight face, it was comical.

"Very funny Cale, you know what I think of vampires. Their cheesy, you could of thought up something more original if you guys wanted to play a joke on me." All three of them looked at me but only Cale was smiling. I wanted to smack it off his face.

"Where are we going for dinner? I agree with Cale, I'm starved." I said as I moved to get up but my dad stopped me with a hand to my shoulder.

"Minnow, your brother is telling you the truth. He is starting to turn but it won't be for several more weeks or even months before the change is complete." I almost giggled but didn't, if they were going to carry this charade further I will listen for a few more minutes or not, I thought when my stomach growled.

"Dad, you're a scientist don't you think you should have the answers. As for Cale shouldn't he be a blood thirsty fiend trying to rip out our throats and drink our blood. Maybe shine like a million diamonds. All he wants to do is stand there and smile like an idiot. Now can we go eat, you guys have had your fun."

"Minnow, stay seated and listen to me. I am not playing games, your brother is a vampire and so are we." I burst into the giggles now as I wiped the tears out of my eyes. My mom sat down beside me and took my hand in hers and gave it a squeeze.

"You and dad vampires, that's funny. You two are so far away from scary." I heard my mother sigh from beside me, so I tried to stop laughing. I looked up at my dad who was rubbing his temples, for once he looked tired.

"Sorry, about laughing but you guys need to stop this, we will be late for our reservation." I said looking back and forth between my parents.

"Were ordering in."

"What,"Cale yelled, "just because Minnow doesn't believe us."

"Yes," my dad said. I watched the interaction between my dad and Cale and smiled inwardly when Cale turned giving me a dirty look. He sat in the leather chair across from me glaring.

"It doesn't matter what you two say she won't believe you." He said finally looking away from me.

"Cale's right, an idiot wouldn't believe something so stupid, vampires give me a break." I stood but couldn't go anywhere, my mom was still holding my hand. I looked down at her and she dropped my hand and got to her feet.

"Minnow, watch me."

The words barely left her mouth before she started running towards the entrance of our house. She was moved so fast, I was shocked. All three of us turned around and followed her to the entranceway. I stood in the doorway way of the study stunned. I watched my mom jump off the floor straight up into the air, grab the second floor banister. She brought her feet to the railing scrunched down jumped and twisted in the air almost faster then I could track with my eyes.

As she flew through the air I took a step away from my dad bracing myself against the wall. I couldn't take my eyes off her, she was beautiful. Her long blonde curly hair was wild behind her and the look on her face I can't even describe it, it was pure ecstasy. She grabbed ahold of the chandelier that hung from the twenty foot ceiling turned and hissed at us. The word beautiful faded from my mind at her hiss.

This all happened so fast, my brain was trying to put it all together. I did manage to spit out, "Holly shit," but nothing else. She still looked like my mom with her green eyes sparkling like emeralds, she was still beautiful but her whole body language was different. It felt like she was ready to attack, and I was her prey.

"Believe now, Minnow." She said, her voice sounded husky, nothing like what I was used too. I didn't like the way she was looking at me but I couldn't move. I watched as she let go of the light fixture and landed on the hardwood floor without making a sound.

"Sydney," my dad said looking from my mom to me and back to my mom. She took a step towards me, but she stopped moving when she saw my face. I knew it was twisted in a ugly way. The fact that I was glaring at her didn't help.

"Do you believe now, Minnow." she asked. This time her voice was back to normal. I didn't know what to say to her or to my father or even to Cale so I said nothing.

I turned my back on them and ran for the stairs taking them two at a time. My mom called after me but I didn't stop or turn around. I heard the railing groan behind me and I flinched but no one came after me, I went to my room and slammed my bedroom door.

VAMPIRE'S DRAGONOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara