Prologue

A/N: this will roughly follow the books/movies but will stray a lot. Also all main characters will be 18 rather than 16.

Also, please check out my Rooster story if your a Miles fan :) it's very new but I'm excited for it.

AFTER DUSK • Peter Hayes 2 is now published!! Book 2 of Peter and Pipers story for those who want to check it out.

Songs that remind me of Peter and Piper/After Dark:

The story of us - Taylor Swift
Stitches - Shawn Mendes
Beating heart - Ellie Goulding
Play with fire - Sam Tinnesz
Falling - Chase Atlantic
Lost cause - Billie Eilish
No shame - 5Seconds of Summer
Line without a hook - Ricky Montgomery
Mind over matter - Young the giant
I don't wanna live forever - Zayn and Taylor Swift
I did something bad - Taylor Swift
Mercy -Shawn Mendes
Ho Hey - The Lumineers
Him & I - Halsey

——————

Sun beamed through the window disrupting Piper from her sleepless night. It was time. She'd been excited yet terrified. Stretching, she pulled the cover up over her face, "shit".

Faint footsteps could be heard beyond her door. Pacing. Her mother, Catherine. She was always the most nervous of the family. Piper could never forget how she had to calm her down while her brother got prepared this time last year. She knew her children would follow their path, yet hated the idea of losing them. Piper had always dreaded leaving her parents, losing them even, but above all, she dreaded losing herself.

Pulling the covers back she sat up looking directly at the mirror before her bed. Her hair was messy, from tossing and turning all night. Eyes puffy from lack of sleep. Mind running on overdrive.

"Pip, are you up?" She cringed at the nickname her mother had called her. She always had. Pip. It had always made her feel small, weak even. She'd never tell her that of course. She didn't have the heart. Which was unusual for her. Too honest to care about feelings. Unless it was those of her mother, or friends. Which she had very few. She only really had Will. She had acquaintances sure, but they were all Erudite through and through and she simply wasn't. She knew Will wasn't either. She felt comfort knowing she wouldn't be the only Erudite to fly the nest.

"Yes mother, a moment please" she finally responded while pulling herself up to change. Opening her wardrobe to a sea of blue. A colour that quickly got boring. Everyday. Same colour. Blue jeans, a black T-shirt and a blue jacket would work. Usually she was encouraged to wear fancy pencil skirts. On this occasion she didn't have to. She wouldn't need it for where she was going. Getting ready certainly took more than a moment. 30 moments to be precise.

As soon as she opened the door her mother practically had to throw herself backward to avoid collision. "A moment yes?" She spoke seriously. "You know, you must eat, today is a big day"

She was right about that.

Time passed quickly. Before she knew it she was sat in between her parents. Surrounded by other Erudite. Other factions filling the room too. "You look eerily calm" her father leaned down to whisper. Probably so her mother didn't hear.

"That's the plan, staying calm" she made sure her voice flowed. No shaking. This wasn't the time to be scared.

Names were called. Person after person. Blood droplets. Bowls. She knew she was soon. Her hands began to sweat. Was she wrong? Should she stay put. Comfortable. Life here was definitely that, but boring.

"You need to follow your path, stop overthinking" he whispered once more. She nodded. Not able to think of the right words. "Remember, we will be proud no matter what" this time was not a whisper, this time he purposely caught her mother's attention. She turned to face her daughter, smiling and nodding. A tear falling as she did.

"Piper Canning"

Her eyes fell upon the stage before her, standing slowly to keep her balance as well as make sure she wasn't shaking. Walking down the stairs with all eyes upon her felt like it lasted forever and a day. No spotlight but yet it felt surely like there had been.

Eventually she made her way up to face the person before her. She couldn't comprehend a word anyone had said after hearing her name. "It's time" she whispered to herself. Holding out her hand. She delved the sharp tip of the knife into her palm. Blood bubbling instantly.

Her hand swaying over Erudite briefly. It didn't feel right. She had never belonged. Sure she was smart as a whip but always wanted more. Only one faction could give her that. The droplet was about to fall bringing her back from her thoughts. Sizzling.

"Dauntless" He spoke.

Dauntless.