Chapter 11

I stared into space for a few seconds before speaking again.

"Well, Mr. Anderson, your daughter here has a respiratory infection that we are already treating with a drip of antibiotics, she should be good to go home in a day or two, as long as she continues her therapy at home" I explain everything.

"Oh sure she will, thank you" he tells me.

He seemed very professional can I say?

"What were you saying my dear?" he then asked his wife.

Oh shit, not again.

“This fucking teenager has been bothering our daughter and me in particular. I want him to apologize to me or you know what to do” she kinda screams.

"Calm the tone" he says softly to his wife and then looks at me.

"How dare you disrespect my wife or my little girl-"

"Mr. Anderson, it's all a misunderstanding. I was just trying to do my job ..."

"Do it better. If it looks like you can't even handle a baby-" he was saying very harshly, but a calm voice stopped him.

"He's good" Kaytlin's little voice interrupted our "fight".

Her father frowned at her.

"He hurt me with this" she says as she raised her hand with the IV and my heart broke a little at the thought that she would remind me of the man who hurt her with a needle and not the one who helped her feeling better.

"But he also told me why he had to do it ... I still don't like it, but my chest hurts less than before" she says innocently.

I look up a little.
A small smile grows on my face.
Maybe she really understood what my intention is.

"I think we're fine here then-" Mr. Anderson was saying, but was stopped by the worst voice ever.

"He hasn't apologized to me yet" she looked amused by my face.

Both she and her husband were waiting for me to speak.

Come on Luke, you're better.

"There's nothing I should apologize for. The one who should apologize is you. But if that's what you want to hear to get a better night's sleep, I apologize to you ma'am. Now excuse me, but I have to go save other lives" I say going at the door.

"Hi honey, see you later, yeah?" I smile at Kaytlin.

"No needles though" she says smiling a tiny bit.

"No needles" I giggle.

"You will never see my daughter again. If she needs to stay in hospital we will go to another hospital" her mother resumes arguing.

"Excuse me ma'am, I'm really sick of this scene. I could fight for your daughter because here she would be in the best hands possible, and the fact that she is also warming up a bit talking to me despite the fear would make her even more comfortable here rather than in another hospital. But I can't do anything if not talk, you're the mother, make wise choices. Mr. Anderson, can I have a word with you? "I ask.

He nods snobbishly.

"Excuse me, it's not very professional of me to ask, is it possible that you know a girl named Abigail Anderson?"

His eyes widened as if he was panicking, but he put his pieces together quickly.

"Excuse me doctor I don't know anyone by that name, now I'm sorry but I'm going to my daughter"