Chapter 8

"Hey Luke you're already in the car you ugly asshole ... oh hi Abby! We didn't know you were here" Michael says opening the car door.

"Yes guys we are in the car, there are too many people around the hospital and we were only there to annoy as our shift is over. Right Abby?" Luke asks me trying to cover everything that has happened and I nod quickly.

"Anyway, we got an idea, why don't we go buy some tubs of ice cream and take it home? I asked Abby to stay with us another night if that's okay with you" the blond says.

"You're kidding, I hope. Of course we want Abby in our house, at least there's someone nice and funny" Ash smiles.

I smile at him and he looks at me laughing slightly but then his eyes seem to reflect and worry grows on his face.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yes why?" I say confused.

"Looks like you've been crying ... you've got some mascara running down" he says.

Oh heck.

I quickly run my finger under the eye to wipe off the mascara and let out a chuckle.

"Oh yeah, well I laughed a lot with Luke before and probably shed a few tears" I say hoping he will believe me.

It seems that he did not believe my lie, but remains silent.

"Okay guys come on, I really want ice cream" Michael says excitedly.

Now there was a dilemma here.
I have to take my meds.
But I can't do it in front of all of them.
Think Abby, think.

Not long after, Michael parks in front of the Target.

"Abby are you coming with me or do you want to stay in the car? You could come and choose the flavors!" Luke says smiling.

I want to go, going to Target is fun and then I've never had many opportunities to go there.

"I come with you!" I say happy as a child and he smiles.

I get out of the car and together we enter the supermarket.

How many colors !!!

We move on to the freezer section and start choosing the flavors.

"Can we have pistachio?" I ask timidly.

"Sure! I love pistachio too" he smiles.

We end up taking chocolate, pistachio, biscuit and hazelnut.

Oh, how nice I finally try an ice cream!

You will ask yourself.
But if you've been free for a year, why haven't you tried everything that was forbidden to you yet?

The truth is, I'm afraid.
SCID is a disease of the immune system.
It was like I didn't have it.
Even the smallest infection like a simple fever could have killed me.
The smaller bacterium would have sent me into sepsis.
Therefore many foods were prohibited because their safety could not be guaranteed.

Anything or person that entered my "cage" first passed into a room where they were filtered and sterilized.
The clothes I wore had to be purely white.
The doctors I had ebtrained in giant protective suits and gloves.
If I came into contact with a bacterium, I immediately began to feel bad, to the point of fainting. And the therapies to restore my body to its original condition were excruciating and very painful.

Not to mention all the experiments I've been subjected to, that's another story.

When I got out of there I was afraid that if I ate something that was forbidden to me I would start to feel bad again, and never, ever would I want to repeat one of those therapies and feel that pain.