Chapter 10

Luke's pov

I start walking but my mind has only one thought: Abby.

After checking about 11 patients, I see a nurse running towards me.

"Doctor Hemmings! We need help, 8 year old girl, she has a respiratory infection, it's not serious but she won't let me put an IV, and what's more she needs a check up ... and her parents are ... unbearable" she says trying to stay professional but I could see she was exhausted, like she just got out of a fight.

"Okay, don't worry, lead the way" I tell her politely.

We head to a room and I can already hear the screams.

"She's here, good luck" she tells me and I nod.

I enter the room only to see a little girl being held by some nurses while her mother talks to her.

"Finally a doctor! I hope at least you are competent" the woman says rudely.

"Dr. Luke Hemmings, and yes ma'am, I'll help your daughter" I say confidently.

"I hope so or I will denounce this entire structure!"

Breathe Luke.
Go to the girl, don't think about the mother.

"Hi honey, it's really nice to meet you I'm Luke, what's your name?" I ask slowly approaching.

"Don't touch me!" she says, struggling with the nurses around her.

"It's okay honey, they and I aren't here to hurt you. I heard you don't feel very well, I'm just here to help you" I say softly.

"Get your dirty hands off me!" She screams.

At this point I didn't know if it was fear or just like her mother.

"Okay hun, I know you don't like this at all, but we have to do it, or you won't be able to feel better. It won't be anything too bad, I promise."

"No, no no no no, go away!"

"Calm down darling, everything will be fine. Mom will do everything she can ..... don't stand by, help my daughter!" the mother yells at me.

God how much I hate these situations.

"Okay babe this is just a stethoscope. I know her name is a little weird but it's just to listen to your heart and lungs, okay?" I tell her.

How difficult these situations are without Abby!
She could have solved it with her eyes closed.

I put the bell of the stethoscope on her chest and she starts screaming.

"It's okay honey! I'm not doing you anything bad to you I promise, I'm sorry if it's a little cold, it will all be over soon" I tell her slowly.

"MOM, STOP HIM"

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY LITTLE DAUGHTER!"

"Madam, I'm just listening to her heartbeat, if you could kindly do some silence it would be ideal" I ask trying to remain professional.

"My daughter is crying! I don't think it's for something useless!" She answers me.

"Madam, your daughter is very stressed by the situation right now, I can assure her that I am not hurting her, look" I say, placing the bell of the stethoscope on my chest to show that it was completely harmless.

I was quite desperate at this point.
Being afraid is one thing.
Being spoiled and overdone is another.

I didn't want to blame the little girl, she's still 8 years old.
But I can blame the mother.