Plan B

[Dakota, Present Day]

The sunlight flickered inside my bedroom, passing through the Egyptian cotton curtains with ease. Normally, I'd wished that I'd purchased some black-out curtains so that I could sleep in longer, but for some reason, I was so comfortable right now.

It was difficult to explain just how at ease I was right now. Sure my mattress is a Tempur-Pedic one that feels like I'm sinking into a cloud, but there was an extra firmness to it that was the perfect consistency for me. My eyes still closed in the morning bliss that I basked in, I nuzzled up to my warm, heated pillow, happily humming when the blankets around me tightened and pulled me in closer to my mattress which played out a melodic metronome-like sound that lulled me even further into security. It was the most peaceful I've felt in a long time given all the drama that's occurred lately.

I couldn't help but feel like I was... home. Hehe, I guess that wouldn't be too bad, if being home was synonymous with being in bed, I'll take it. Especially with the tightness of the blankets keeping me safely secured to the moving and heartbeat-mimicking mattress.

"Good morning, my love," I heard a deep voice say, a voice with that familiar country-accent which vibrated my pillow.

My eyes shot open and I stared down at the "pillow" underneath my fingers, my body instantly shaking with terror as I saw the skin-colored sheet and the felt the chest hair on my cheek. My heart was beating like a jackhammer, actually hurting my ribcage a bit as I hesitantly craned my neck to look up at the face attached to the body I was inadvertently cuddling up next to.

Attached to the body was Caleb's head, but it was the Wolf-Caleb that I'd seen last night— the one with demonic yellow eyes and teeth which were all jagged and sharp as knives. His wolfish ears stuck up off his head as he glared down at me, his canines gleaming in the morning sun. He opened up his mouth wider, showing off more and more rows of teeth which were all unequal in size and sharpness, but all of them looked like they would pierce my skin with ease.

With a deep, menacing snarl, Caleb lunged forward at me...

I woke up screaming and thrashing around in my bed.

I threw the blankets and pillows to the ground, frantically whipping my head around to triple check that I was all by myself. Once I was certain there was no one else in the bedroom with me, I even peeked over towards my Mac to double check that the FaceTime app was closed and the blue indicator light was off. The coast was clear and I flopped back onto my bed, panting heavily and feeling as if there was an immense weight stuck on my chest, making it hard to breath almost.

This really sucks ass.

I'd had a lot of trouble falling asleep last night after witnessing Caleb turn into a frickin' monster and threaten my dad. And worse of all, he had mentioned that he was going to fill out a Form 20-28, which meant that I'd be forced to be shipped off to go live with him all because I made a teeny-tiny mistake of drinking underage. It wasn't even that much! I barely felt a thing!

Life is unfair.

Straining my ears, I could tell that Dad and Enrique (gross) were still asleep. Glancing over at my alarm clock, I saw that it was only five-thirty in the morning, and since it was Friday, they probably wouldn't be up for another hour or so. However, I need Dad's help now. He's a very powerful and intelligent lawyer, so he would be the one to figure out a way to get me out of this Mating Gene mess. He'll help me out for sure because I'm his only child and we love each other with all of our hearts, I mean, at the end of the day, we're all each other has.

In a poor attempt to slow down my racing heart, I tried to think of happy stuff— anything to distract myself from the hectic life that I was forced into and my impending doom of having to live with Caleb who would fuckin' kill me without a moment's hesitation. Although it was just a nightmare, I had no doubt that my terrifying dream must've held some sort of psychic property that foretold my future a little bit.