Chapter nineteen

It was the day after the dance and I hadn't felt this happy in a very long time. I could officially call Mia my girlfriend. Who would have thought this would happen?

Well, I did think about this for quite some time so I couldn't say this was a complete shocker for me. But I had to admit that I never expected Mia to ask me to be her girlfriend. I was planning on waiting for her to be more comfortable and then ask her, but she beat me to it.

And I liked it. A lot. This way I didn't have to worry about whether I pressured Mia into saying yes or anything, because she asked the question.

When I got home, my dad was still on the couch, waiting for me. Both of my parents trust me enough to come home safely, but they're still a bit worried so they always make sure one of them is awake when I get home.

At first I thought it was annoying, because I felt like they didn't trust me but now I know that they don't trust the rest of the world.

So when I got home with the world's biggest smile on my face, my dad immediately wanted to know the details. He even woke my mom up because he knew she wanted to know everything as well. So instead of going straight to bed after a long, but successful night, I spend some time with my parents talking about everything that happened.

"Harper, I'm so happy for you! For both of you!" mom said.

I smiled and thanked her.

"Does this mean that Nora will finally know about the two of you and we can plan the wedding together?" She laughed.

Even though she meant for it to be a light-hearted comment, it got me thinking. I had no clue if Mia and I being in a relationship would actually change things. I mean, I knew what I meant to her but could we finally hold hands in public now? Could I tell Alex about us? Because I really wanted to share this with the world.

"Maybe give Mia some time to actually tell her mother before you talk to her about wedding dresses," my dad answered for me instead.

"Okay okay," mom said, "but let me know as soon as Nora heard the news. I'm pretty sure she would be just as excited as I am!"

"Do you really think that? You don't think she would be mad at Mia for being into girls?" I asked genuinely.

Mom shook her head and said without giving it a single thought: "Nora loves Mia more than anything in the world, she would love her either way."

I sighed. I really hoped mom was right. Even if she was, I didn't know if I could convince Mia that she was.

"Just like we love you, no matter who you end up with," dad added.

Okay now I felt like I had to cry.

So before my parents could see my tears, I hugged them to show them how grateful I was.

"Let's go to bed and get some sleep," my dad said.

And so we did.

The second I laid down in bed, I knew that I had to keep focussing on the positive parts of this night because otherwise my brain would start to spiral. And that was something I definitely did not want to happen.

Focusing on the positive things worked because I slept like an angel. When I woke up, all I could think about was the fact that Mia was now officially my girlfriend.

Even when I got ready to go to school, that was the only thing my mind could think about. And I did not care at all. I was still a bit tired from the dance. I never understood why the principal insisted on throwing a party on a Thursday and then expected everyone to be able to pay attention in class the next day.