Chapter seventeen

The rest of our date went by in bliss. When there was nobody around, we were holding hands and Mia even kissed me on the cheek.

It was nice that our feelings were out in the open, though it was also pretty terrifying. But if I wouldn't be scared, that would have meant that I had nothing to lose. And I did have something to lose, someone to lose.

I was scared of losing Mia, but at the same time I was more certain than ever that our relationship was heading in the right direction.

Technically we weren't in a real relationship, yet, but it felt like one. Except for the sneaking around of course. Besides that, I felt safe and comfortable when I was around Mia and I was thinking she felt the same way.

"Harper," Mia started, "will you do me the honor and go to the dance with me?"

Did Mia just ask me to be her date? Or did she want to go as friends?

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" I asked her.

Mia looked confused.

"Why wouldn't it be?" She asked in return.

I knew that Mia wasn't ready to come out yet, and I totally supported that, so that had to mean she wanted to go as friends. Which was fine, of course, but not really what I had wanted.

"Because people would see us together? Or did you want to go as friends? That's fine by me, if that was what you meant," I said.

Mia thought about her answer for a couple of seconds and then she said:

"For everyone around us, we'll go as friends. But the two of us will know that we're going as much more than that. Is that okay?"

I took a step towards her. Our bodies were close enough to touch each other.

"That is totally okay," I answered.

And this time, I didn't lie.

The next couple of days went by way faster than I had imagined. I had finished all the preparations for the dance and tonight was finally the night. I had been working my ass off for this dance, so it had to be good.

No, not just good, it had to be magical.

Mia and I had agreed that we would meet each other at the dance, so our looks would be a surprise. I was sure she would look as beautiful as she always does.

Anyways, since Mia wasn't here to help me get ready, I had texted Alex. Normally I would have asked Jane, but since she totally chose Liam's side in our fight and never talked to me since, I'd rather spend my time with somebody else.

The doorbell rang and Alex was standing in front of the door. Even though he's a guy, he has a great sense of fashion and is actually better than me in doing my make-up.

Some people suspected that he's gay, stupid stereotypes and gender norms. He could be bi or something like that, but he had told me that he was into girls and I believed him.

"Hey Harper! I'm so glad you texted me, it feels like ages ago since the last time we had really hung out!" Alex said, while walking towards the living room.

I sat down on the couch and motioned for him to sit next to me.

"I know, I just have been really busy lately. I'm sorry," I responded.

Alex chuckled.

"Busy with preparing the dance or with a girl that happens to be your best friend but seems like more than that?" He smirked.