Lin's Pov: Stirring.

So warm............huh? Slowly I open my eyes processing where I am. I feel something soft wrapped around me. It's oddly warm. I blink the sleep out of my eyes and see a wall of black fur. Memories of yesterday flood through my mind. So it wasn't a dream? All that actually happened? I thought with a yawn. Suddenly I realize what's happening and blush. Puro must have held me all night....

I ask in haste "P-puro? Are you awake?"

Slowly I feel Puro stir. I look up at him and see Puro's eyes flutter open. His white eyes widen with surprise.

Puro asks sheepishly "O-oh human! Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah..."

"Did you sleep well?"

"I-it was great..."

I see Puro smile a little and feel myself smile as well. He pulls back and stands up with a stretch. Behind him, the city's ruins fill the skyline. Plants sprawl out from the now broken buildings. The fading memory of a human society lingers. The doctor wasn't lying. It isn't the same. It's...depressing to look at.

Puro notices and says softly "It's ok Lin....there is no point in dwelling on something ruined.....it will be alright."

He pauses for a moment and adds with a nervous smile "Besides...I'll be with you!"

Puro turns back to me and offers his paw. A genuine smile beneath the white mask. It's reminiscent of the same one he gave in the library. I try to grin a little for his sake and take his paw. With surprising strength, Puro pulls me up to stand. My heart does a little flutter as I regain my balance. What was that?

He lets go of my paw and mentions "Your much lighter now than before. It must be a symptom of being transferred, Lin."

I reply with uncertainty "I feel a lot heavier though...might just be me being tired."

Puro inquires "You might not be used to your new body then. It must have been a big change for you Lin. I still don't believe you even chose to go through with it!"

I say sadly "I...don't regret it."

He looks down at me and puts a paw on my shoulder.

Softly Puro says "I'll make it up to you Lin. You're not going to regret it. I already told you but.....I do want to be with you....just us two together. That...would be worth it right? I'll be the greatest companion I can be."

His determination is strong. I want to believe every word he says but.....is this the right choice? My eyes connect with his and I can see nothing but honestly. I wouldn't mind being with Puro forever. He's so optimistic in such a depressing situation....I trust him. Ever so slightly Puro squeezes my shoulder. I get myself back into reality and look away from his eyes. My face feels hot.

I change the subject quickly and stammer out "Now that we're out of the lab we should go look for a place to stay. We definitely can't survive without shelter."

"That's a great idea, Lin! C'mon, let's go explore! I've only dreamed of this moment!"

With much enthusiasm, Puro takes my paw and we walk side by side away from the tower. He has a warm smile plastered across his face as we make our search. Every so often I catch him looking down at me. It always causes him to look away quickly. Who knew Puro could blush? Well, I shouldn't be talking! Being this close to him is making my heart pound! Is this just a human instinct to be scared like this? No Puro is kind! He would never do anything to harm me! My heart is pounding....for a different reason? Oh God....am I really in lo-

Puro stops in his tracks causing me to bump into him.

He asks in a worried panic "Lin!? Are you ok?"

I reply a little flustered "Y-yeah! Of course! I'm fine."

After an awkward moment of silence, I ask confused "So why'd you stop Puro?"

"Oh! Look this building seems to be in good condition, Lin!"

My eyes follow Puro's pointing paw and land on a Motel. It seems to be in decent condition. There are a few cracks in the building but it looks sturdy. This would be a great place to stay for a while. With a big smile, Puro pulls my hand and begins to practically run towards it.

Nervously I Yelp "Puro wait!"

He stops and asks "Yes Lin?"

I reply anxiously "Well are you sure this is where we should stay? What if we don't have enough supplies?"

Puro's face turns serious and he looks down at me.

Softly he reassures "Don't think like that Lin. I won't let anything happen to you. If things turn dark I'll carry you myself back to the lab! Your....my only friend. Well...."

His ears droop. I might be seeing things but I swear I see nervous drops of latex on his forehead as he avoids my gaze.

Puro quickly rebounds "Don't..worry about it. Puro has to work that out himself. C'mon...let's go, Lin!"

With a quick motion, me and Puro make our way towards our seemingly new home. I guess we're not going to address what just happened. I think with a small smile as we enter the front door.