Chapter 42: Whiskey Lullaby

Chapter 42

Whiskey Lullaby

"Jordan?" Brandon poked his head into the room, making me jump. 

Ross woke up with a start. 

"Yeah?" I asked, rubbing my eyes. 

"There's someone at the door for you. Connor, I think he said his name is?" 

My jaw dropped, and my heart flew into my throat. "Connor... Connor Jackson?" 

"Yes!! Yes that's it!" Brandon grinned, obviously forgetting who Connor had been to me. 

"Okay," I felt like puking. I wondered what he was still like. Oh gosh. Were those butterflies? "Go away!" I thought angrily. No. I loved Ross; Connor meant nothing anymore. 

"Jordan?" Ross asked, eyeing me warily.  

"Yeah?" I coughed, willing myself to not throw up. "You don't like him anymore, stop it!" I thought. "Are you okay?" 

"Sure.." 

Ross frowned, but didn't push it. 

He buried his face in a pillow and started mumbling to himself. It sounded like lyrics to a song. Probably The Script.  

I stood up to go downstairs, and Ross reached out and wrapped his arms around my waist. He pulled me back into bed with him, pulling me so close that I could feel his warm breath on my neck. 

"Ross!" I laughed, trying to wriggle out of his grasp. "Let go!" 

"Noooooo..." Ross dragged the "o" out for about a minute. 

"Ross," I whined. "You can go if..." He paused, pulling me even closer to him. "You give me a kiss." He decided, puckering his lips jokingly. 

"But you have morning breath!" I smiled. 

"So do you, Jord," he laughed, fluttering his long eyelashes and giving me his puppy dog eyes. 

"I'm not letting go if you don't pay the price." I gave him a quick peck on his lips. 

"Done!" Ross's arms stayed locked around me. Not that I minded... As a matter of fact, I wanted Ross to just pull me close. I wanted him to convince me that I no longer had feelings for Connor and that he loved me. Hah. Like that would happen. "I'm sure if I asked him to he would..." I thought. Just how would I explain Connor? Oh yeah, when I was thirteen we were basically a couple. He never actually asked me out, and we never went on a date.. But at the time all our friends knew we were, unofficially, obviously, "together". Ross's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. 

"That was so short." He whined. 

"You never said how long the kiss had to be," I grinned, trying to not let Ross see how conflicted I felt. 

"But--" Ross started. 

"JORDAN!" Brandon shouted from downstairs. 

"Ross I have to go!!" Ross let go of me, snuggling back under the covers again.  

"Wake me up when you come back up, ok?" 

I took a deep breath and walked stiffly downstairs. I wasn't at all prepared for what awaited me. 

There was Connor, frowning as usual. The only difference was his shoulder-length used-to-be brown hair was now dyed black. His soft eyes looked into mine, and I felt my heart melt. "Stop it!!" I silently commanded myself. 

"Hi JordyBean," his eyes glittered. 

"I can't believe you still remember that!" I said, exasperated. Thank God, my mouth was working. 

JordyBean had been his pet name for me; I had gone through a faze where I was completely obsessed with jelly beans... 

"I've missed you," he whispered, moving closer to me.  

"Connor," I started, taking a step back. 

"I missed us," he whispered, stepping close again. 

"There was never an 'us', Connor," I took an unsteady step back. 

"Oh really?" He smirked, snaking an arm around my waist.  

"Connor, that was years ago," my heart started drumming in my chest. "So you're saying you no longer care for me? At all?" He moved closer to me. 

"Like a friend." 

"Not even a brother?" His eyes glittered with anger.  

"Connor, it's not your fault you had to move halfway across the continent. I don't blame you for leaving. Just... I haven't seen you in YEARS. We both are probably different people..." I trailed off and chewed on my nails, chipping my neon yellow nail polish off bit by bit.  

"We can get to know each other again. Be more than friends," Connor insisted. 

"I have a boyfriend," I blurted out. 

Connor snickered. "Oh, that kid on Disney?"  

"He's not a kid!" I scoffed. "As a matter of fact, he's 6 months older than you mister!"  

"You remember my birthday," he chuckled.  

"So?" 

"You have an awful memory, if I'm not mistaken." 

I could feel my face burning.  

"Be honest. Do you still have feelings for me?" he moved even closer.  

"I'm with Ross," i stepped back again, crossing my arms across my chest. 

"So?" 

"Get away from me!" i shrieked, as his hand suddenly slid down my side to my hip. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" 

"They say the guy's gotta make the first move, right?" he moved closer. 

"Connor--" i started. 

Connors eyes glittered as he pushed closer to me, pressing his lips firmly against mine. I struggled for a moment, then felt the butterflies surge into my stomach. "STOP IT!" i commanded myself. "NO JORDAN NO!" But it didn't help. "CONNOR!" i shouted, kicking his shin and pushing him away from me. He licked his lips. 

"Don't EVER do that again!!!!!" i shrieked. 

"Oh please," Connor grinned evilly. "Don't pretend like you didn't like it." 

"Well-- I-- psh-- curse you!!! I didn't-- no-- not really-- maybe-- but i--" i stuttered, my lips going numb. 

Connor's eyes flicked over my shoulder, and i spun around just in time to see Ross disappear up the stairs. "Oh God, no," i cupped a hand over my mouth. "Please God, don't let him have seen that!!" i whispered.  

Connor chuckled. "But i think he did." 

"Get out." i commanded, taking a deep breath and trying to calm myself.  

He gave me a smirk, then ran nimbly away, leaving me standing by the open door with my fist shoved in my mouth.