chapter 41- yes!

I sat in between Bucky and Loki on the quinjet, on our way to stop Steve and HYDRA from destroying a lab. 

"He's gonna be okay. We're gonna get him back, alright?" I nodded at Bucky, fiddling with the edge of my suit. It felt like the black nanotech was suffocating my body. I wanted nothing more but to be at home with Steve, in bed, watching those documentaries he loved so much. 

"We're landing in two minutes!" Nat yelled from the front. We all stood, getting ready. Bucky grabbed a gun from the armory while Loki, Wanda, and Pietro took deep breaths so they would be ready with whatever powers they had to use. 

I didn't grab a gun or a knife. I couldn't hurt him. And I wouldn't give him something he could take off of me to hurt me. "Y/n, grab a weapon," Bucky said, handing me a gun. I shoved it away, staring at the door. "No. I won't hurt him."

"Y/n he might not-"

"No!" I shouted, earning everyone's attention. "I will not hurt him!" Bucky nodded, letting it go. 

"Thiry seconds!" I heard Natasha yell as she jet started to lower to the ground. I pulled my hair into a loose ponytail on my head, being careful not to hit my incision. "Landing now!"

The quinjet slowly descended to the ground, locking in as it jerked us around a little. "Alright, Avengers. Cap isn't here to make one of his big speeches." I rolled my eyes at Tony. "So I'll just get right to it because I'm shit at speeches. Save Steve. Arrest as many HYDRA agents as you can. Don't hurt civilians."

"Well, your right about one thing, Stark." Wanda raised an eyebrow. "Your shit as speeches." Pietro finished, slamming the 'lower door' button as chaos erupted in front of our eyes. 

People were running as agents swarmed families and civilians. We instantly rushed out. Energy flowed through my palms as I knocked every HYDRA agent down. 

"STAND DOWN!!" Tony shouted through the air, earning another round of bullets that didn't even leave a scratch on his suit. "Seriously, guys? Alright." Within seconds all of the HYDRA agents were knocked down. Some groaning, some unconscious. 

Wanda had wrapped a hoard of agents with her powers, knocking them down as Pietro arrested them within a blink of an eye. Natasha was shooting, not caring about Tony's 'no lethal methods.' rule. Vision was flying around, helping Wanda see if any agents were hiding. And Loki, Bucky, and I were helping civilians into buildings and away from the main area. 

"Y/n!" I turned to Loki, "Over there." He pointed as my eyes met the scene. Steve shot at a man, knocking his shield into the car as it bounced off, striking a police officer in the head. I immediately ran towards him, ignoring the shouts and calls behind me. 

"Steve!!" I shouted, seeing him turn to me. He looked the same. His sandy blonde hair combed back as his heard had grown out some. His usual bright red, white and blue suit was a navy blue. And his shield was no longer the American flag design. But black with a HYDRA symbol in the middle. His eyes looked distant. The once bright blue orbs that gazed onto me were filled with hate and misery. His stance was tight, and his glare was like I had never seen before. 

"Steve..It's me." Suddenly a woman landed in front of him. Striking red hair, blood-red lipstick, and a Scarlett suit. She looked like someone I had seen before. Someone from a picture in Steve's room. I think her name was...

"Peggy?" 

She smiled, walking towards me a little bit. "So you know who I am." I nodded, letting the power flow through my palms, "I know you're supposed to be dead." She chuckled, red energy swarming her hands. 

"And you were supposed to be. But now the soldier is with me. Like it was always meant to be."

I looked around her, seeing Steve's shoulders slump slightly but still keeping his deathly glare. "Just let Steve go. He didn't do anything!"

"Why don't you join us? You really think these people are your family?" 

I looked back to the Avengers fighting behind me, then looking back to Peggy, "I know they are. And he is too. So either let him go..." I raised my hands, my powers growing more intense as my anger was, "Or I'll take him back."

Peggy's smirk dropped into a stoic expression, "Fine by me." She turned, "Attacke." She spoke in german, the soldier instantly stalking toward me. 

"Please, Steve, it's me! It's Y/n!" Suddenly his grip was around my neck as he stared into my eyes. Bucky and Loki were helping more civilians, and the rest of the team was fighting. I had no one to help me. His hold on my tech tightened when all of a sudden, he leaned in, whispering in my ear. 

"I'm sorry, baby. Forgive me." 

"What?"

"Go with it." He let go of my body, aiming a gun at my head. I looked into his eyes, seeing the pleading expression he held. He cocked the gun back, placing his finger on the trigger as I heard screams from my team behind me. I had no idea what he meant by 'go with it.'

That was until he snapped around, pulling the trigger as it lodged right between Peggy's eyes.

 Everyone stopped, seeing Steve drop the gun. He fell to his knees in front of me, sobbing. I raised from my back, crawling over as I held him in my arms. It was like all the air had flowed back into my lungs, like every breakdown. Every tear and every sleepless night was worth it. I had him back in my arms, no matter the cost. 

"Steve. It's okay. I'm here."

"Y/n..." He kept repeating my name until he finally looked up at me, placing his thumb on the soon-to-be bruise on my neck. "I'm so sorry, baby. I'm so sorry." I smiled, dropping my forehead to his. 

"It's okay. I'm here. I'm here."

He lifted his head, grabbing onto the back of my neck as he crashed his lips to mine. I felt the scruff of his beard tickle my chin, not caring enough to pull away. Our lips moved in sync, clinging onto each other as if we'd never see each other again. Which days ago I thought was a reality. 

We both reluctantly pulled back, staring into each other's eyes as tears streamed down our faces. "I love you, Y/n. I don't want to go another minute without telling you I love you."

"I love you too, Steve. I always have." He pulled my body flush against his, cradling my head with his hands. 

"Will you be my girlfriend, Y/n?"

I smiled, pulling back as I held his face in my hands, "Yes! yes, I'll be your girlfriend."

Our lips met again. And all I knew was that we would be okay as long as we had each other. As long as we had our family. Our crazy, chaotic, messed up, sometimes aggravating, but most of all loving family. And that's all we needed. 

Was each other.