chapter 31- Fight or Flight

The city was blocked off. Only a few police officers were stood behind us. The rest helping citizens or already dead from trying to fend off the HYDRA agents. Loki tried to tell me they could do this on their own. I know they could. But I needed to help. I needed revenge.  

Steve was with Bucky and Wanda on the east side, while, Loki, Pietro, and I were on the west.  

I reloaded my gun, flipping off the safety before shooting three agents in the head. Dead bullseye every time. 

"Remind me not to get on your bad side." Loki joked, seeing the agents drop. I chuckled, shooting a couple more. "I'm a trained assassin." He cocked an eyebrow. "But you knew that already."

"Agents incoming from the west side of the city now," Wanda spoke through comms. 

I groaned, running through the streets, "Where are they coming from?!"

"A helicopter dropped them off wherever we aren't. I guess HYDRA has enough to spare." Tony said, shooting a couple more as he flew by. 

I saw a helicopter above me, about to drop another swarm of agents. I groaned, starting to shoot up. It didn't work. My bullets only landed on the side of the metal or disappeared in the air. Wanda was nowhere near I was, and Pietro was fast, not magic. 

When I realized I wasn't going to win this, I started to run. Seeing agents following behind me in tactical gear. I ran as fast as I could, shooting blindly behind me. One tackled me to the ground, readying for a punch that never came. Suddenly green energy surrounded them, instantly crushing them and the chopper like bugs. 

My eyes widened, looking at the God beside me, "That was gross." He smiled, "But thanks."

"No problem. Don't you have powers?" I reloaded my gun, sticking my spare knife in my holster, "Yeah but ever since I came back...they've been a little dormant."

Loki nodded, probably not knowing what to say. 

We ran back, shooting a couple more before a screeching echoed through the communication systems. I crouched down in pain as I ripped it from my ear. As did Pietro and Loki. I guess everyones' was down. 

"What the hell was that?!" 

Pietro shrugged, a blue trail flashing before my eyes as he was gone and back within a second. 

"Y/n." He looked at me with a sorrowful gaze. My brows furrowed, "What?"

He looked at Loki, who only dropped his head. I couldn't understand what was going on. I knew Loki could read whatever In Pietro's head. I knew they both knew something I didn't. I holstered my gun, seeing no more agents in sight. 

That was weird? They were all over here a second ago. "What happened?" I asked, "Is it, Wanda?" Pietro shook his head, "Steve, he uhm."

Dread instantly settled in my stomach. Was Steve okay? Was he hurt? Where is he?"

"Pietro, Where is he?"

Pietro slowly walked toward me, instantly rushing me to everyone else. I looked around, seeing the mess before me. Bucky fell into Natasha, crying into her shoulder. I'd never seen Bucky cry. He always carried a stoic reaction. Wanda's hands were on Vision's face, ensuring he was okay. Tony rubbed his face, whispering something to Sam. But one person wasn't there.

Steve. 

"Guys..." Everyone turned to me, "Where's Steve?" I questioned, instantely being slammed into Wanda's body as she hugged me. 

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry Y/n, I tried to stop them I tried to get him-"

"Wait." I looked up at her, tears stinging in my eyes. "Where is he?"

"They took him," Bucky stood, sniffling, "Hydra took him."

It felt like my heart had been ripped in half. The strings breaking off every second I knew he was gone. The tears were freely streaming. Making my usual cold face hot. I stepped back, falling as Pietro caught me. Before anyone else had registered I was down. My brother held me in his arms, Wanda coming up to hold both of us. 

"Please. He's not. He's-" I choked on my words, clinging onto Pietro and Wanda's arms. Bucky bent down in front of me, wiping the tears from my cheeks. 

To me he was always Winter. He was there my whole life. Watching me grow up. Being by my side when I was training. The time I got shot in the field. When I was almost thrown from the red room, but he vouched for me. He was like a brother to me. Before I knew I had one. 

"We'll find him Y/n. I promise," He kissed my forehead, holding the back of my head, "I promise we'll find him."

I looked up at him, not being able to control what I needed to say, "I was gone for three years. And I was no one." Bucky stared at me, listening. "He's Captain America. They'll make sure he's somewhere no one can find him."