chapter 38- grateful

Steve's pov-

"What more of a story could you have? Y/n didn't do shit to you! You didn't even have a reason not to like her until we got together!!" I stood, stumbling only slightly as I felt my stab wound. 

Peggy chuckled, walking over to the bookshelf as she poured another glass of alcohol. "I understand the struggle with not being able to get drunk." My brows came together in confusion. "Why can't you get drunk? You're not a super-soldier."

"Super soldiers are not the only ones with that curse, Captain." She took a seat again, "My father was a...vicious man." Taking another swig from her glass she looked to me, "He hated me. He hated my brown hair and my eyes and the way I looked like my mother. But he hated someone more than he hated me. He hated you."

But I already knew that. I was Captain America. I was literally tearing down the empire he had built. His legacy. But I didn't care about Peggy's daddy issues or the fact that she blamed me for her depressing life. I needed to know the story about Y/n. 

"Why did you do what you did to her?"

"Oh yes. That. Well, after HYDRA took her and The Soldier back...there were complications. her brain was a mess and they couldn't fix it. So they handed her to us. And James of course. He came with her. But one night the alarms went off. Barnes was erratic. Screaming for Y/n. They were on different sides of Siberia. He wouldn't have found her..."

Peggy finished her drink, "So I told a little white lie."

"How little?"

"I might've told James she had already escaped. Leaving him to go back to your little group of superheroes...Believing Y/n was home. Safe and Sound."

I felt sick. The woman I had loved once was tearing my life apart. She was tearing Y/n's apart because of me. I stood, wanting to punch her but before I could, something pushed me against the wall. Peggy stood below me. Black energy surrounded Peggy's hands. Her hair was wisping as her eyes turned so red I couldn't see her pupils. 

"As I said, Captain. My father was a vicious man. He experimented on me. He tortured me. All because he wanted to use me against you. But then I fell for you." She lowered her hands, dropping me to the floor as I caught myself. 

"I fell for you just like Y/n did. But now...She has to die." My eyes widened, seeing the monitor blinking. A whole chart of her health popped onto the screen. Her heart rate. Her oxygen levels and her exact location. 

"How are you doing this?" I breathed out, walking slowly towards the lit-up information. "She's had this implant in since she was a child. We've known where she is. Who she's with and what she's doing for the past decade."

Suddenly Peggy pressed a button. Live footage appeared as I saw the glass cage in the Avengers compound. 

"What is thi-"

"LET ME OUT!! LET ME THE FUCK OUT!! YOUR ALL FUCKING CRAZY!!" I held a hand over my mouth. Y/n would never act like that. I had never heard her yell with such fury before. 

"How are we seeing this?"

"That implant doesn't only track brain function. it tracks her point of view through eyesight. We've known where she's been for years. We could've grabbed her back at any moment. But we let you two have your fun." Peggy turned the sound off as Y/n's screaming was cut mid-sentence. "Consider yourself grateful you at least had that much time."

I scoffed, "Grateful? Grateful?! You ruined her life. You imposed on every single memory. You let her believe she was free!!"

"Just a complication, Rogers. Soon she will know what it's like to be in my shoes. She'll know what it's like to have the love of your life taken from you."

I looked back up to the monitor, seeing Y/n throwing things in the cell with her powers. Using them to crack the glass as Loki and Wanda held her off. "I think she already does."