Chapter Nineteen: November

The next day, I finally heard back from my dad. He sent more tablets for me and he did not hold back his disappointment with my incident with the Whomping Willow. However, he wasn't too harsh and encouraged me to do well in school. It was hard to focus when the majority of the students were still shaken from last night. Draco seemed to know that muggle born students were the intended target and I thought about the journal. What was the connection? Was there a connection? My mind couldn't help but think back to what my dad said to Mr. Malfoy. Am I being used?

          "Hello? Earth to Sophie?" Cedric tapped my head with a rolled up parchment.

          I blushed and looked up, "C-Cedric! I-I'm sorry. I was just-"

         "Are you worried about last night?" he asked, concerned.

          I lied and nodded, "Y-Yeah."

          He sighed and petted me, "Don't worry about that, Sophie. I just received word about our first match. It'll be after Slytherin and Gryffindor. We'll be playing Ravenclaw. Their seeker is Cho Chang. She's not half bad but you have been improving. If you need anything, please come to me."

          I blushed and smiled, "Thanks, Cedric."

          He blushed and waved as he walked away. I watched him leave and he was really sweet. I liked how encouraging he was. Before I was late, I got my things and headed to class. It was History of Magic with Professor Binns. Most of our classes were shared and I sat with Harry. Ron sat next to Hermione. Harry was explaining that he heard a voice when he found Mrs. Norris. The voice said it wanted to kill after it smelled blood. I had difficulty hiding my discomfort.

          "Do you know anything about it?" he asked.

          "N-Not really. Did you get into trouble?" I said.

          "Mrs. Norris was petrified. Herbology classes are cancelled so Professor Sprout can focus on raising the mandrakes to cure her. Headmaster Dumbledore suggested it was dark magic, too advanced for any student," he explained.

          Before we could continue, Professor Binns started class and Hermione wasted no time to take advantage of an educational opportunity. She persuaded our professor into talking about the Chamber of Secrets. We were told that the four founders of Hogwarts didn't agree on everything. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, and Rowena Ravenclaw were willing to accept all students. Salazar Slytherin wanted to ban muggle born students. When he was overruled, the legend states that he built a secret chamber that only his heir could open. In it was a monster that only the heir could control. That monster would then purge the school of all muggle born students. I was speechless. Did I release a monster?

          After our classes, Hermione, Harry, Ron, and I went to Myrtle's bathroom to talk about the attack. I said I left the Great Hall before everyone else because I didn't want everyone's unhappiness to overwhelm me. Harry was at Sir Nicholas's Deathday party with Hermione and Ron. Based on Draco's attitude against muggle born students, the trio concluded that he was the Heir of Slytherin. I heavily defended him. To put him to the test, the trio insisted on making Polyjuice Potion to sneak into the Slytherin common room to interrogate Draco.

          "I'll interrogate him. I know when he's lying," I almost growled.

          "Soph, why can't you take the Polyjuice Potion?" Ron asked.

          "I don't know what it'll do to me. I'm still half vampire. Vampires are sensitive to concoctions," I said softly and looked down sideways.

          "Will you help us? It's the most advanced potion I've attempted and Professor Snape has some of the ingredients in his personal inventory. I somehow need the potion book, too. It's in the restricted section," Hermione said.