Chapter 11

"He's very lucky Ms. Quick. If not for you he would not have made it through surgery. He lost a lot of blood, but he's stable. " 

Clark is right behind you, patting your back. The nurse walks away, and you sigh. Martha and Jonathan had spent hours trying to console you after the ordeal. Clark was the one who found you on the floor in tears after you had managed to shakily get your phone and call the police. After you were basically forced by Martha to get cleaned up, you refused to leave Lex's side.

So they were basically taking shifts checking in on you and Lex. Lionel of course raced over the second he got news about his son, not before sending you a spiteful look. Somehow he must have concluded that it was your fault that Lex was hurt. You knew if he could he would have transported Lex to another country for treatment just to keep him away from you. The two bodyguards outside his door made that perfectly clear.

"I wanted to kill that man." 

Your tone is cold, and Clark looks down at you. If anything you expect surprise, or maybe even disappointment.

"I'm sure you don't mean that."

You scoff. "You don't understand Clark, it didn't feel like me. That person, that thing it was filled with so much rage and...and.."

"Hate."

You swallow, looking up at him. For a moment you glance at Lex's body that's lying still in the bed. This could have been avoided. Had you been more confident in yourself, your powers, you could have easily saved Lex. But you were scared. With all you could do you were still scared. And now Lex is the one paying for it.

"Trust me when I say you're not the only one who's ever felt like that. I know that for us, it's different. We aren't afforded the same luxuries as other people. But it doesn't make you any less human (Y/N). Believe me. "

You know he's right. 

Clark sends you a comforting smile, opening his arms and you move in, relaxing the minute his arms wrap around your shoulder. You had a near meltdown when you thought Lex was gone. Now that you had a little hope, you felt like you could get through it. Lex would make it.

He needed to.

"You're not a killer."

Those words keep running through your head. All you seem to see is Lex's body on the floor in your arms, bleeding out. You pull out of his arms.

"I have to go."

"(Y/N)." 

You dash off, and Clark looks worried. You're usually more careful about using your powers in public. Not just that, but for a moment, that speed reminded him a lot of Bart. The way he took off when he left Smallville.

"She's getting faster."

He knows it would have happened at some point, a part of him is concerned that you might lose yourself. The fear you showed was obvious when you told him all that took place. How can he assure you when he was still learning all that you were capable of. 

It would be a journey for the both of you.

You skate to a stop when you're in front of the barn. You scream into the air. Standing in front of a tree, you grit your teeth. With a vibrating palm, you drive it into the tree. It doesn't feel like enough. You repeat the action, this time with both hands. You're relentless, and it's not long before you hear the creak as it falls to the ground. You huff, angered, frustrated, scared. 

If Lex didn't make it you weren't sure you would either.

"Please.."

You're at your limit of crying and begging. You just need to see him open his eyes again.

That's your only wish.

~~~~

The week seems to pass so slowly. It's a constant cycle. Any moment that you weren't in class, you spent it visiting Lex at the hospital. Presently you're sitting at his bed, holding his hand. The warmth gives you a sense of comfort. 

"I've been helping out at the kent farm this week. Usually I'm at your place messing around, but I just have so much free time that it makes me a little anxious. I think I'm starting to drive them crazy. " you let out a laugh, but receive none in return. This feels like how your days would be from now on. 

"Lex please just...wake up..I need you too I.." you swallow the lump in your throat. Brushing your fingers over his cheek, you lean over.

"I love you Lex." 

You lean in upon saying those words, pressing a kiss to his lips, a single tear falling onto his cheek. You pull back, mustering a smile. It drops when you feel the squeeze of his hand.

"L-Lex?" 

Another squeeze.

"N-NURSE!" 

You're a bit frantic, and the doors open, the woman rushing in.

"H-He responded to me he.." you turn to prove your case, and your heart has once again picked up. His eyes are opened, and he smiles at you. 

"I guess you're...one hell of a kisser." He mumbles. You let out a laugh, shaking your head.

"It took you long enough." He pulls you down, and you smile into this kiss, still crying. But this time the tears are for a completely different reason.

Lex is okay.

So are you now.