16

Real Life

Zoya sat on the floor in the living room. head between Melissa's legs as she attempted to plait the mop of curls on their head. she was enjoying everyones company but her social battery was beginning to drain. they sat still watching the interactions around them, Chris and Grant were discussing the best ways to get into character with Melissa butting in every so often. Tone, Anthony and Sebastian were discussing Tone's music over the facetime that they had been on for a good six hours.

they sat there content watching everyone around them bond. it was nice to watch. she didn't have good memories of her family (besides the Rivas') but sat there surrounded by these people she felt more at home than she had in forever. she just hoped it lasted.

at midnight people started to leave. Melissa hugged Zoya whispering a quick 'im a phonecall away' before she left to return to the Supergirl set for a late night shoot. Grant followed shortly after saying Candice will have his head if he's late to tomorrows shoot, kissing Zoyas forehead, shaking Chris' hand and yelling goodbye to Tone. 

"we should get going too." Sebastian's tin-like voice came from the other side of Zoya's phone. "it's 3am here and I need to start packing for Iceland and Mackie needs his 'beauty sleep' apparently.

"Iceland?" Zoya questioned.

"aerial base. you'll see at the premiere." he smirked at Zoya. 

Rolling her eyes she said goodbye to the duo as they ended the call. 

"and then there was three." Chris laughed to himself.

"...two actually." Tone looked up from his phone grabbing his jacket. "Andy just text. hotel's ready for me and i have early morning sound checks. why does he message at 12 to tell me..." 

"oh okay." Zoya forced a smile. "i'll see you soon though right?" 

sensing something was up with her tone, Antony walked a bit closer pulling Zoya into a hug. 
"you're coming to the bunch right?" 

Zoya nodded hugging him a bit tighter.

"then i'll see you there. i love you." 

"i love you..." 

they pulled apart and after whispering something to Chris - making him go wide-eyed - the singer went out the door.

Chris turned to her with a soft smile.
'i'll start clearing up. you go get Dodger's bed out your room - that okay?" 

Zoya nodded at him before running up the stairs - Dodger hot on her heels. As they went to pick up the dog bed to carry down for the pup their phone went off. 

IMessage

Besh-Tays

Berks - hey
Berks - can you talk with your fans?
Berks - i'm getting hate

and?

Berks - and... it's not nice
Berks - come on Z
Berks - i thought you had my back
Berks - jeez

i'm sorry
what?
you go on an interview
tell the whole world about my mental health
something i trusted you with
WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE
then tell them i'm unworthy of my job
and my best friend
yet you think you have the right
to come here and ask me to have your back
fuck off

Berks - i was just being honest!

the interview wasn't even about me!

Berks - i had to tell someone!
Berks - people like you don't deserve to be in this industry

what do you mean?

Berks - you know what i mean
Berks - not even your family wanted you
Berks - Chris won't want you soon enough
Berks - why do you think you deserve spotlight - huh?

you bitch.
never talk to me again.

BLOCK 'Berks'?
yes/no

sensing something was wrong with Zoya, Dodger ran back down the stairs to the kitchen where Chris was clearing up. Dodger started pawing at his leg to get his attention whimpering softly. looking down at the dog Chris could immediately tell something was wrong.

"hey boy, what's up?" 

Chris watched as the boxer cross bounded back up the stairs before barking at him again. confused, he followed the dog up to Zoya's doorway where he stopped and sat wagging his tail against the carpet. 

"good boy."

Chris pushed the door open and the sight he saw broke his heart. Zoya sat staring vacantly at her phone with tears brimming in her eyes. he sat down next to them leaving enough space between them so Zoya would be comfortable. 

when she felt the bed dip next to her she knew it was Chris. silently passing him the phone they turned their face towards the window not wanting to look at him. the room was silent as Chris read the messages Zoya flinched slightly when he huffed turning the phone off. 

"that's utter bullshit." he started angry beyond belief at India "you deserve everything - you worked so hard for it." 

Zoya cracked then, the strong actor facade falling back into the vulnerable person they really were. with staggered breaths she kept her eyes locked onto the city just outside her window. when he noticed her sharp intakes Chris stood and knelt down in front of her. the pain in her eyes made him feel murderous - how could someone hurt someone so genuine? 

but he knew his priority in that moment was to comfort the person he cared for more than anything (except possibly Dodger and his family) Chris watched as Zoya wiped her eyes over and over again avoiding his eyes. he grabbed their cheeks stroking his thumbs across the rouge tears and that's when she crumbled. 

"oh come here you..." 

he sat back on the bed pulling her in tight she cried for hours until she exhausted herself so bad she fell asleep. Chris didn't let go stroking their hair and whispering comforts until he too fell asleep.