Chapter Six.

Harry had no chance to speak to Ron, Hermione, or (Y/n) in the chaos of leaving; they were too busy heaving all their trunks down the Leaky Cauldron's narrow staircase and piling them up near the door, with Hedwig, Hoshi, and Hermes, Percy's screech owl, perched on top in their cages. (Y/n) was just now getting Effie into her carrier. A small wickerwork basket stood beside the heap of trunks, spitting loudly.

"It's all right, Crookshanks," Hermione cooed through the wickerwork. "I'll let you out on the train."

"You won't," snapped Ron. "What about poor Scabbers, eh?"
He pointed at his chest, where a large lump indicated that Scabbers was curled up in his pocket. James squinted at it.

Arthur, who had been waiting outside for the Ministry cars, stuck his head inside.
"They're here!" he announced.
Arthur marched Harry across the short stretch of pavement toward the first of three old-fashioned dark green cars, each of which was driven by a furtive-looking wizard wearing a suit of emerald velvet.
"In you get, Harry," said Arthur, glancing up and down the crowded street.
Harry got into the back of the car and was shortly joined by Hermione, Ron, and to Ron's disgust, Percy. (Y/n) joined Fred, George, and Ginny in another car and James and Lily joined Arthur and Molly in the third.

"Am I allowed to do magic?" (Y/n) whispered to George, who peered down at her.

"Best not to risk it in a Ministry car," he whispered back.

"You're right..." (Y/n) sighed. The Weasleys snickered.

"Were you going to do that electricity thing you did that one time?" Fred asked. (Y/n) nodded.

"...now that I think about it, I couldn't. I don't have a battery on me," (Y/n) frowned. Again, the Weasleys snickered. "Ooh, you wanna see what I did in France?" she asked, pulling out a folded sheet of paper. "I got the Hogwarts layout from the map," she said. "And when I can use magic, I'm going to enchant it so it shows you how to get to your desired location."

"Sometimes, you're worse than Hermione," Fred sighed, shaking his head.

"That's not very nice," (Y/n) said, taking out a clay figure that had an air plant as hair. "Forgot about these..." she mumbled, handing it to Ginny, who held it in cupped hands with awe. "Got them in a little gift shop by the Lauve— Hey, wait a minute. Did you just compare me to Hermione?"

"Took you long enough," Fred snorted. "Am I wrong? All you two do is study, study, study."

"Fair point, I suppose," (Y/n) said.
They reached King's Cross with twenty minutes to spare; the Ministry drivers found them trolleys, unloaded their trunks, touched their hats in salute to Arthur, and drove away, somehow managing to jump to the head of an unmoving line at the traffic lights.

"Right then," Arthur said, glancing around them as they entered the station. "Let's do this in pairs, as there are so many of us. I'll go through first with Harry."
Arthur strolled toward the barrier between platforms nine and ten, pushing Harry's trolley and apparently very interested in the InterCity 125 that had just arrived at platform nine. With a meaningful look at Harry, he leaned casually against the barrier. Harry imitated him.
Lily and James were the next to go, followed by a panting Percy and Ginny.

"Ah, there's Penelope!" said Percy, smoothing his hair and going pink again. Harry caught Ginny's eye, and they both turned away to hide their laughter as Percy strode over to a girl with long, curly hair, walking with his chest thrown out so that she couldn't miss his shiny badge.
Fred and George then Hermione and Ron were the next. Last, Molly and (Y/n) came through.
Harry and Ron led the way to the end of the train, past packed compartments, to a carriage that looked quite empty. They loaded their trunks onto it, stowed Hedwig, Crookshanks, Hoshi, and Effie on the luggage rack, then went back outside to say goodbye to the Weasleys, Potters, and new additions.
Molly kissed all her children, then Hermione, and finally, Harry (whose mum finally let go). He was embarrassed, but quite pleased, when she gave him an extra hug. (Y/n) returned from her godmothers, wiping Valorie's lipstick stain from her cheek. (Y/n) blinked as Molly kissed her other cheek, then she beamed.