Chapter Six.

"What electives did you guys get?" Cho Chang, one of (Y/n)'s roommates and her best friend since their first year asked. (Y/n) sat with a little first year known as Luna Lovegood glued to her side.

"Ancient Runes and Arithmancy," Marietta Edgecomb, (Y/n)'s other roommate and friend, answered. Cho pouted.

"I have Muggle Studies and Divination," she said. Colour drained from (Y/n)'s face. How would she be able to explain this one? "Oh well, at least we still have our core classes together..." Cho sighed. "What about you, (Y/n)?" Cho Chang, Marietta Edgecomb, and Padma Patil looked curiously at her.

"I don't... know," (Y/n) lied. "I think my timetable got messed up..."

"Huh?" Cho asked, peering over (Y/n)'s shoulder. Her eyebrows furrowed at the three electives that were at the same time other electives were. "Weird..." she murmured. "No worries, I'm sure Professor Flitwick will sort it out." She shrugged. (Y/n) nodded slowly. How was she going to get out of this one? Right as the group started eating, a hundred or so owls came rushing in, circling the hall and dropping letters and packages into the chattering crowd.
(Y/n) stopped the hand that was bringing eggs to her mouth at the letter she received. Had she forgotten something at home? She hesitantly broke the seal. Before she could even start reading, a Howler from the Gryffindor table seemed to have exploded; a roar of sound filled the huge hall, shaking the dust from the ceiling.

"—STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE—"
Molly's yells, a hundred times louder than usual, made the plates and spoons rattle, and echoed deafeningly off the stone walls. People throughout the hall were swivelling around to see who had received the Howler, and Ron sank so low in his chair that only his crimson forehead could be seen.
"—LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WOULD DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD BOTH HAVE DIED— ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED— YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME."
A ringing silence fell. The red envelope, which had dropped from Ron's hand, burst into flames and curled into ashes. Harry quickly opened his Howler next, not wanting it to explode. (Y/n) recognized the voice that could be made out from the Howler: James Potter. The two voices were talking over one another.

"HARRY POTTER, THAT WAS TRULY INSPIRED. CRASHING. A. CAR. INTO. A. TREE. NOT EVEN I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT OF THAT! YOU'RE REALLY LIVING UP TO THE 'JAMES POTTER' BIT OF YOUR NAME, BUD. I FEEL SO PROUD— CAN'T IMAGINE MINNIE IS, THOUGH. NEITHER IS YOUR MUM—"
There was a long moment of silence that made Harry think his dad forgot to stop enchanting the Howler. The Howler appeared to be looking backwards.
"I STAND BY—"

"NO, JAMES! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ENCOURAGING HIM! HE IS IN SO MUCH TROUBLE!" shouted the familiar voice of Lily.

"LILY DON'T GET IN THE WAY OF TRUE INHERITANCE—" There was another long moment of silence. "I MEAN... HARRY, THAT WAS AN EXTREMELY BAD THING TO DO. BAD, PUNISHABLE EVEN, BUT I'M SO PROUD." Then, the Howler tore itself up.

"I hate you," Ron said bitterly to Harry, who was smiling. Silence didn't even get the chance to settle before another Howler was delivered and Lily properly chewed Harry out. (Y/n) smiled, shaking her head at the two boys. A few people had laughed and, gradually, a babble of talk broke out again.

(Y/n) turned her attention back onto the letter. She removed it and read it to herself.

Dear (Y/n),
You and me are pen pals. I am in year five at Beauxbatons and am in
Bellefeuille House. I am fifteen years old and will be turning sixteen
on the fourteenth of October. My favourite subjects are Charms and
Care of Magical Creatures and I have been taking an English class for
two years. What is your favourite subjects? In my spare time, I like to
hang out with my friends. What do you like to do?