Chapter 4, Survival

Zhang Jing Tong as Jing Nu

CHAPTER 4

Gan Xin was hugging the King tightly, afraid he might fall off the horse. The King was riding the horse at a high speed, worrying about Wei An Ge's survival. Even the top generals didn't manage to surpass the King and his horse.

While then, Gan Xin started creating the foxglove poison plant as the King commanded as soon as he sits on the horse with him.

Gan Xin realized they were heading to the dark and scary kingdom his mother has warned before. Being afraid of unfortunate things to happen to him, he secretly planted another type of poisonous plant along the way so that he can return to Wei Zhuang alone if he needed to.

Hei An Guang border was just ahead. It was indeed as what Gan Xie Le told, dark and cold. The black gates were decorated with snake figures twirling around each pole. The trees were also exactly like what was pre-described. Dark green and dead.

Gan Xin was stunned by the surrounding that he didn't notice he's already in front of a manor, the Chang Ge Manor. It's the brightest color he has seen along his short trip to Hei An Guang. The manor was pale brown decorated with gardens of flowers at the side.

"Young boy, let's go in" the king pushed him inside. Gan Xin found himself walking hurriedly into a room, just beside the garden he saw. He can see from afar, the princess told laying on the bed with the anxious maids trying to stop the bleeding of her forehead. Her eyebrows were furrowed and her eyes were still swollen red.

Gan Xin ran to Wei An Ge himself, hurried and concerned. He scanned her condition within a glance and was surprised by the scene, a long thread of cascading plant and pieces of sharp glasses on the floor.

"Why would you poison her?" He inquired turning to the king as the princess started stretching her chest again accompanied by furrowed eyebrows.

"The foxglove poison is the only way to save her" the king explained briefly, scrunching her forehead. "Just do it, young boy. Take it out"

Light green dust started to follow his fingers, drawing characters to summon the plant he made but the dust was not as bright and vibrant as it was at Wei Zhuang. Gan Xin was confused as the plant appeared on his palm. He felt as if there was a barrier holding on to his power.

"Here you go," he passed the purple poisonous plant to the King.

"Get him all of our Hei An Guang treats!" The King finally smiled in excitement. As soon as he had the grip of the foxglove, a hint of relief covered his whole body with chills.

"Treats!" He jumped. He couldn't be more excited to try new desserts from foreign kingdoms.

Gan Xin followed the maids leading him to the dining hall where short tables were aligned.

The desserts were placed on his table. Gan Xin's eyes enlarged in shock.

"Why are they all black and brown?" He questioned, analyzing each angle of the cakes and treats one by one.

All of the desserts whether it's the moon cakes, glutinous rice balls or even the drink were all black and brown.

"These are our Hei An Guang desserts, young savior" the maid, Jing Nu explained with a friendly tone of voice, smiling at him. "Why don't you try the sweet rice balls,"

With the spoon in his fingers, he gets one of the black balls, soaked in another brown syrup.

"Hehehe" Gan Xin smiled to the maid, fearing that the dish might not taste any good.

"Continue," the maid convinces.

He knew he had to face the fear and started chewing the ball with his eyes closed, unwilling.