Chapter 45: How About This

‹‹‹‹‹{Chapter 45}›››››

{Recap}

        We pause once we reach the woods across the field and stop to breathe. As the realization hits me that we are finally free I slapped with a wave of emotion. Julie next to me breaks down into sobs and falls to the ground shaking. Hank looks around blankly as if he can’t believe his eyes, he looks like he’s in a dream. Kasey stands up straight and throws her arms back.

        “I’M FREE,” she screams at the top of her lungs. Nobody makes a move to stop her as she screams over and over again. The only people who seem not to have lost it are Mitch and Eric, but even they look as if it’s all unreal. After awhile I begin to feel tears brim up in my eyes and I fall to my knees on the ground.

        “Kate,” Mitch squats down next to me as he rubs my back. Rain whips all around us and for a few moments it seems like we are the only two people in the world.

        “We’re free,” I whisper as tears stream down my cheeks

“Yes we are,” Mitch smiles as he lifts my chin to him, “Just like I promised.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Once everyone recovers from the initial shock we begin walking through the pelting rain towards the concrete wall. It becomes visible a few minutes later as a gray mass comes into view. Mitch and Hank take the explosives up to the wall while the rest of us stand back about thirty feet. It takes them about ten minutes to wire it up and after they finish they walk back towards us.

            I notice Hank has a remote in his hand as he reaches us and I study it with curious eyes.

            “Ok everyone,” Hank grins excitedly, “Cover your ears and back up.”

            “Try and do it with a crack of thunder,” Mitch advises as he covers my ears for me. Hank nods in agreement as he clicks a red button on the remote once the resounding sound of thunder hits. Almost immediately a section of the wall explodes with fire and little pieces of concrete go flying in the air. If we had been any closer those little pieces would have lodged in our skin.

            After the ringing sound dissipates in my ears I slowly open my eyes and stare at the gaping hole in the wall.

            “Yeah baby,” Eric pumps a fist in the air as he laughs.

            “C’mon,” Julie begins to walk forward and gestures for all of us to follow, “They could be coming.” Kasey’s smile slips off her face as she begins to move. Soon we all begin a slow jog through the jungle. As we run along Hank takes deep breaths of the air around us.

            “I’ve missed fresh air,” he sighs as he closes his eyes.

            “I’m still waiting to smell the musty prison smell,” Eric chuckles, “But I smell flowers and rain.”

            “I never thought I’d miss the outdoors,” Kasey picks up a flower as we pass a bush of them. The rain above us turns to sprinkling and slowly but surely the sun begins to appear.

            “We should head northeast,” Julie comments, “If we blew up the right wall...the camp should be within twenty-five miles northeast of here.”

            “Do we have a plan on how to free everyone,” Hank asks aloud.

            “We’re going to have to wing that too,” Mitch shrugs nonchalantly, “It shouldn’t be hard...I doubt they are expecting anything to happen.”