Chapter 22: Don't Scream

<<<[Chapter 22]>>>

(Recap)

            "Oh no what happened," I grab the flower and frown.

            "There was a bug on it," Mitch chuckles.

            "Oh," I say sheepishly as we walk along.

            "Are you trying to impress someone," Mitch smirks arrogantly down at me.

            "Yeah," I cough, "Myself."

            "Mmm," Mitch says in a knowing tone.

            "Why's a girl have to be interrogated if she looks nice," I cross my arms.

            "Because there's always a hidden motive," Mitch grins knowledgeably. I roll my eyes and try to silence the girl inside.

            "Bingo," she laughs.

§§§§§§§§§§

            "You," I point to a short, stocky man, "Bring me a map." The man nods hurriedly and scrambles off in search of one. Once he returns I snatch the commodity from him and slap it on a table in front of all the men.

            "Where would they end up," I ask incredulously gesturing to the map. On it for miles where they found the two parachutes there is no land. They couldn't have swam that far. Unless-."

            "Maybe the parachutes floated away from where they landed," the man suggests as he stares at the map with interest.

            "Still do you see any land on here you twit," I hiss as I point, "None for miles."

            "Maybe we should get a bigger map sir," the man coughs.

            "No," I shake my head and narrow my eyes at him, "We'll use this one."

            "But sir it's impossible finding them with this one," the man sputters.

            "I want this area scoured," I snap as I pick up the map and shove it at him, "Pronto."

§§§§§§§§§§

            A silence settles over us as Mitch settles me on the beach and moves off to attend to something else.

            "Kate I'm going hunting," he stretches his arms, "Will you be fine on your own?" I nod mutely and watch him disappear into the foliage behind me. My face sags as I watch him walk across the sand, what I'd give to be able to do that. I'm sick of being a sitting duck. When will this stupid leg heal? I glare at my ankle and splint.

            As I sit aimlessly in the sand an idea forms. My eyes widen slightly at the thought and a naughty smile spreads across my face. Maybe I could practice walking while Mitch is gone. But you might hurt yourself, I think. However, I shrug off the caution and try to lift myself to my feet.

            A few minutes later I'm leaning against the hut and balancing myself on my one good leg. I take a deep breath before I push myself off of it and attempt to move forward. Once pressure is exerted on my broken leg, however, it immediately falters and I feel myself topple over. Landing with an oomph in the sand I grit my teeth and ignore the pain shooting up my tailbone. No pain no gain, right? Time to try again, I think as I crawl back over to the hut and pull myself up it.