Prologue

------------

Prologue

------------

            "Thanks everyone for coming out to say goodbye to the beloved Harrisons," Pastor Clark says as the clapping dies. He turns to mom and I as he flashes me a reassuring smile. I give him a tearful one in return.

            "But we're glad that their going to be doing God's work in Korea as missionaries," Pastor Clark continues, his voice getting hoarse from holding back tears. My eyes start to get watery and I can feel a tear about to fall. With a quick swipe of my hand it's gone but another one soon replaces it.

            "I remember when I first met Kate," he chuckles, "She kicked me in the shin and said she didn't talk to strangers." The whole church bursts out laughing, including mom, while I feel my face heat up in embarrassment.

            "I was only eight," I splutter. My remark just makes the church laugh even more. I glance over my shoulder and look at the people that I have grown up around and with. The pit of my stomach churns. I can't believe I'm leaving them all for something my mom feels called to do. Looking up at her happy, and determined face and I try to mimic her expression. They say if you pretend you're happy, you will be.

            "Ok everyone, I'd like to say a prayer for the Harrison's safe journey across the world and that they successfully bring others to Christ," Pastor Clark clears his throat, "Could everyone drop to a knee." The whole church gets down on their knees.

            "Dear God," Pastor Clark begins, "Please be with the Harrison's as they travel across the world, please be with them and send your angels to be at their side. Help them to spread your wonderful message and bring light to those in darkness in. And also be with Mrs. Harrison's husband," My stomach drops at the mention of my Dad. After my twin sister disappeared he went berserk and has needed psychiatric help since. "Be with him in the hospital, please help him to get better and be mentally ready to join his family soon. In Jesus's name, Amen."

            After the prayer we are swept up by the congregation who give us tight hugs, tearful goodbyes, and hearty back slaps. The worst goodbye is Carmin's, my best friend.

            "I can't believe you're leaving," she sobs as we hug.

            "I'll Skype you everyday," I say, "I promise."

            "You better," she forces a laugh as she breaks away. Someone taps my shoulder and I turn to see mom standing behind me.

            "We've got to finish packing Kate," Mom smiles sadly, "The flight leaves at 6:30 am tomorrow." I nod absently and turn to Carmin.

            "See you when I see you," I say mournfully, copying the quote from our favorite movie.

            "You better rookie," Carmin laughs sadly, repeating a quote from our favorite western movie. We do our handshake for the last time and try to ignore the fact that there are tears rolling down our cheeks.

            "Girls," mom envelopes us both in a hug. "You two will see each other again, I promise."

            "No joke," Carmin sniffs.

            "You're not lying," I swipe a tear.

            "No and No," Mom replies.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

            The drive home is silent as mom and I both soak in the scenery for the last time. I take mental pictures of every detail on the route. The shrubs, the signs, and the familiar landmarks I'll never forget. But the blaring of mom cellphone rudely interrupts, bringing me back to reality. She quickly picks it up.

            "No texting and driving," I murmur.

            "Yes," Mom ignores me, "Hold on what? I'll be there in a sec, is he all right? I'm turning around now." Mom swerves the car into U-turn while slamming down on the gas. My eyebrows fly up as we speed in the opposite direction of home.

            "What are you doing," I face her.

            "Your dad's having a seizure," Mom replies, focusing on the road. It's then I notice her whitening hands gripping the wheel in a death grip. "He could die."

            "What," I choke. The blood in my veins turns cold. Dad could die? He can't, he can't leave me! I already lost my twin sister Faith.

             In the hospital room my mom paces while I stay frozen to my seat. Still struggling to come to grips with this, I clench my hands into fists and pray.

            "I guess this means we won't be going to Korea," Mom says matter-of-factly. She pulls out her phone. "I'll have to call and cancel the flight."

            "No," I say, surprising her and myself. "I'll go by myself and get everything ready for you." Mom gives me a incredulous look and shakes her head.

            "I thought you didn't want to go to Korea," she says slowly. Unable to disagree, I nod my head and look away from her penetrating gaze.

            "I can't be here while we go through this," I whisper. "Again." Mom's eyes immediately turn mournful and she nods in understanding. I can't be here when we face another family member who could die, it was hard enough when it happened to Faith. I don't think I can it again without losing my mind. Leaving would give me an escape, I wouldn't have to face this.

            "Are you sure you want to do this," she asks quietly. I nod as I shove my hands into my pockets and stalk out of the room.

            "It's the only way I can keep my sanity," I mumble to myself.

Author's Note:

Here's a new book people!!! Hope you enjoy and come along for the ride in "Unknown Destinations!!!"