Chapter 25: Mating, Smacking, and Biting

<<<[Chapter 25]>>>

(Recap) 

"You should see yours," he laughs. I frown confusedly as I touch my burning lips and trail my fingers on them. Mitch clears his throat after a few minutes and looks me straight in the eyes.

            "What," I cock an eyebrow worriedly.

            "Can you believe that a weeks ago we were at each others throats," Mitch bites him lip.

            "It feels so strange," I fold my hands together, "I can't imagine that I thought about torturing you for fun."

        "Kate you are too cute," Mitch laughs as he shakes his head.

        "It all feels so insane," I shake my head.

        "But then it makes so much sense too," Mitch grabs my hands and looks into my eyes.

        "Yeah it does," I smile shyly as I stare into his grey eyes filled with happiness.

§§§§§§§§§§

            "Ugh I'm tired," I flail my arms and groan, "When are we getting there?"

            "I'm carrying you," Mitch guffaws, "How can you be tired?"

            "Being held does require energy," I give him a serious expression.

            "Mmm," Mitch rolls his eyes, "We're almost there." I sigh exasperatedly and lie my head on his chest. My head moves slightly as Mitch's chest rises up and down from breathing. He begins to walk up a hill and the breathing becomes more heavy as he shifts me in his arms.

            "You should really lay off the coconuts," Mitch chuckles as he nears the top.

            "I'm going to punch you in the gut," I growl and hold up my fist. Mitch laughs good naturedly and stands still atop the hill.

            "Ok here it is," he sighs. I turn my head curiously and feel my eyes widen as I take out the scene before me. From atop the hill you can see the whole expanse of the island. Rolling bright green trees dot the landscape and a blue ocean flows farther away. A beautiful sunset rests above making the picture even more beautiful. I squint my eyes a little and spot a hut in the distance.

            "That's your hut Mitch," I point in the direction.

            "Oh yeah," Mitch looks in the direction of my hand. We both settle into a comfortable silence as Mitch sets me on the ground and sits next to me. I'm still in awe as I gaze at the perfect scenery before me. A bird flies high above letting out a loud, haunting call.

            "This is perfect," I sigh dreamily.

            "I knew you'd like it," Mitch smiles at me. I grin back at him as I rest my head on his shoulder and turn my eyes back to the picture in front of us. A strong arm encircles itself around me pulling me closer to Mitch. I feel my stomach fill with butterflies at Mitch's closeness and shyly bite my lip.

            Above, another bird enters the scene and aggressively pursues the bird that was there before he was. My eyebrows automatically pull together and I watch in dismay as the bird attacks the smaller one. The small one barely escapes and goes barreling up into the sky with the bigger one gaining.