Chapter 44: Freedom At Last

‹‹‹‹‹{Chapter 44}›››››

{Recap}

“So there were two guys,” he grunts as he lifts his whistle to his lips, “Where’s the other one?” Nobody answers his question as he creates a shrill sound with the tube that brings five more guards running.

            “Escaped prisoner,” he explains to them.

            “How,” another answers as he walks to a button on the wall and slams it. Red lights begin to flash as a siren wails alerting the entire prison of Eric’s escape.

            “I don’t know,” the first guard snaps, “Just look...Alric will have our heads if we don’t find him.” At the mention of Alric the guards take off and disperse in different directions.

            “Hopefully Eric found the armor room by now,” Mitch mutters as we watch the chaos of guards run around.

            “No doubts Mitch,” I grin up at him, “Because if you have them, something will go wrong.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            About two hours later the door at the end of the corridor opens again. Shuffling feet near the cell door and I look up hopefully. Eric stands with his hands shoved in his pockets accompanied by three guards.

            “If anyone of you manage to make it out of here again,” the guard behind Eric growls, “You’ll be shot on the spot.” I gulp as his words filter in my ears and scoot closer to Mitch. Eric grimaces as the guard rudely thrusts him into cell and slams the door behind him. No one speaks until the guard disappears from the hall and out of hearing range.

            “Good news,” Kasey raises her eyebrows hopefully.

            “I’ve got this whole place mapped out,” Eric breathes as he flashes a handsome smile.

            “Seriously,” Julie sighs in relief.

            “Does anybody have anything to draw with,” Eric kneels down on the floor and looks around. I pick up a discarded piece of charcoal and hand it to him.

            “Thanks,” he says as he takes the piece and begins to draw a square with dozens of other squares protruding off of it.

            “Ok,” he points to the biggest square, “This is the main building where all the prisoners enter...and the only known exit,” he pauses, “As we all know in front of it is a big concrete courtyard lined with machine guns.”

            “There is no way we can escape that way,” Hank shakes his head.

            “Correct,” Eric chuckles, “But I managed to find another exit in the guards dormitory...that was empty thanks to Mitch.”

            “No problem, you’re welcome,” Mitch laughs as he raises his hands.

            “However there’s one miniscule problem,” Eric grimaces slightly.

            “And...that is,” Kasey frowns immediately.

            “Out the guards exit is a field completely controlled by outdoor guards...walking out there on a clear day would be a death wish,” Eric explains as he draws the scene on the floor, “In order to get out that way...we’ll have to be in a severe downpour...one so thick no one could see us.”