Chapter 23: No Good For You

<<<[Chapter 23]>>>

(Recap)

        A soft pink glow that seems to come from with in lights the entrance and I squint my eyes in confusion. When Mitch takes a step to enter I tighten my grip on him frightened by the mysterious sight in front of us.

            "Kate," Mitch whispers as he presses his forehead against mine, "Just trust me ok?" I loosen my grip and chew my lip in thought. Should I, should I trust the guy who saved my life so many times, tries to show he cares, and makes my heart beat faster than a hummingbird's wings. I think I'll go with the obvious answer.

            "Ok," I reply softly as I stare into his grey eyes. Mitch grins at my response and turns to step into the mysterious beyond.

§§§§§§§§§§

            As Mitch walks the glow seems to get brighter, it's as if some pink light stuffed away in here lights the path. I subtly rest my head on Mitch shoulder as I try to relax and remind myself that he knows what he's doing. I glance behind us and note the drips of water and soaking wet footprints. My wet hair is plastered down and I try to run my fingers through it to shake it out.

            "Ok close your eyes," Mitch gazes down at me.

            "Another surprise," I raise my eyebrows.

            "Close your eyes," Mitch repeats with a laugh.

            "Fine," I pout as I flutter my eyelids closed. Mitch continues walking a little ways then stops. I feel myself sliding from his arms and onto something slightly rough. I begin to lean back until Mitch grabs my arm.

            "You might not want to do that," Mitch laughs as he pulls me up.

            "Why," I answer confusedly.

            "Open your eyes," he replies as he releases my arm. My eyes snap open and take in my surroundings in surprise. I'm immediately shocked when I find myself out of the cave. The pink light that snaked throughout the cave comes from pink flowers that glow in the light. The air smells sweet from their nectar and I breathe in the scent. My eyes slowly move down and I find myself sitting on a crude raft...in the water. Are we on some river? Mitch slips onto the raft making it wobble slightly, but it steady's eventually. He grabs a nearby stick and pushes us off to roll along with the water.

            "It's beautiful Mitch," I sigh as my eyes take in the galore of flowers around us. Not all are pink, some are magenta and a few are red.

            "The flower in your hair reminded me of this place," Mitch explains as he guides the raft down the stream.

            "Oh," I answer shyly as my hand unknowingly touches the flower in my braid. The air is filled with sounds of various animals, I can hear a birdsong, maybe a cricket, and a low base...I can't figure out what makes that sound. Is it a frog?

            "I really like this," I softly touch Mitch's arm, "It's so peaceful, and calming."

            "I'm glad," Mitch smiles down at me and tucks a piece of hair behind my air. My heart immediately races and my veins rush with blood. I quickly move my hand from his arm as a lump rises in my throat. Why does such a simple gesture affect me so much? Suddenly a familiar lump on the shore before us moves and I squint my eyes. It's Berry!