Chapter 41: The West Nile

‹‹‹‹‹{Chapter 41}›››››

{Recap}

“Because I love you,” I answer softly, “And I want to take care of you too,” I look embarrassedly at the floor. Seconds later I feel him pull me closer and enfold me in his strong embrace.

            “I love you more,” Mitch murmurs in my ear as he pulls me into his lap. In his lap I nestle closer to him and absently trace the indentions on his abdomen. As my head rests on his chest I can feel his heartbeat beating beneath his skin.

            “My love is as big as the universe,” I reply with a laugh.

            “My love lasts for infinity,” Mitch wiggles his eyebrows as he gazes down at me.

            “The universe is endless space for forever,” I grin at him, “I win.”

            “But infinity never ends,” he presses his forehead against mine as he gives me a loopy grin, “That beats everything.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “Time to go,” the guard slaps his keys on the door again as he opens it. I automatically feel panic rush into my veins as we move out of the cell and down a hallway.

            “I can’t take anymore of this Mitch,” I whisper frantically as I grip his arm tightly.

            “Stay strong Kate,” he gives me an intense look, “You can do this.”

            “I’ll go insane,” my bottom lip begins to quiver, “If they hu-rt you one mo-re time,” I begin to cry.

            “No tiger,” Mitch stops and begins wiping the tears away with his thumb, “Lift your chin up and give em’ hell in a basket.”

            “I can’t,” I slump onto him as my body becomes wracked with sobs, “Not if they are hurting you.” Mitch sighs softly as he wraps his arms around me and soothingly rubs my arms.

            “Keep it moving,” a rough guard behind us commands. Mitch complies only to avoid confrontation and sweeps me into his arms.

            “Whatever they do tiger,” he whispers as we continue walking, “I won’t feel it...as long as I know they aren’t hurting you.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            We arrive in another hallway, presumably used for torture from the way the screams emitted from behind each door sound. My heart fills with terror as I grip Mitch so hard my hand turns white.

            “I love you tiger,” Mitch squeezes me as he gently sets me on the ground and follows the beckoning of a guard into a separate room.

            “NO,” I rasp as I fall to my knees, “No,” I sob violently as I feel myself being hauled to my feet by a guard. I barely have the strength to fight as they lead me into an interrogation room and slam the door behind them as they exit.

            “I just want Mitch and I to be safe,” I say aloud to no one in particular as my hands shake in fright.

            Minutes later the door bursts open and in walk two people. Verisal is clad in a smart suit, his black hair slicked back and full lips pulled into a smile full of cruel intent. Mevin limps in behind him. His curly blonde hair is pulled back into a small ponytail and his glittering green eyes fix themselves on me.