14 - The One Where Loki Ruins Mobius' Lunch

We walk in the break room, seeing Mobius at a table eating a salad. "I found something," Loki tells him.

  "No, I said, don't to bother me until you've read all the files," he replies with a mouth full of food.

  "I have," Loki says simply.

  "Every file?"

  "Yes."

  "Pertaining to the variant?"

  "The answer isn't in the files, it's on the timeline." The two of us take a seat at the table for Loki to better explain. He's hiding in the apocalypses."

  "Which apocalypse?," Mobius asks. "Any time in history? There's, like, a million of 'em."

  "Ragnarok. Are you familiar?"

  I take the paper Loki got his idea from to analyze it myself while listening in on their conversation.

  "Yes. The destruction of Asgard and most of its people. I'm sorry."

  RAGNAROK (CLASS SEVEN APOCALYPSE): Total planetary destruction

  "Yes. Very sad," Loki says, not seeming very sad at all. He does look at me though, probably thinking of the awkward hug I gave him earlier. Or maybe I just can't get that out of my head.

  "Anyway, it got me thinking," he says with such excitement.

  "Go ahead," Mobius sighs.

  "Nexus events happen when someone does something they're not supposed to do, right?"

  "Well, it's a little more complicated than that, but, yeah."

Casualties: 9,719 (Entire Civilization Annihilated

  "Great. And then that thing they're not supposed to do, cascades into a whole range of other things that aren't supposed to happen. And so on and so forth, until eventually, a new timeline branches. Yes?"

  "Chaotic alterations of a predetermined outcome."

  "Exactly. So, let's just say.." Loki takes Mobius' salad bowl.

  "What are you doing?"

  "..Your salad is Asgard in this scenario."

  "It's not Asgard, that's my lunch."

  "It's a metaphor. Just hang in there."

  "I want that salad." I laugh to myself behind the paper. "Oh, you think this is funny, do you Y/n?"

  "Just a little bit," I reply.

  "Anyways, I could go down to Asgard," Loki continues. "Before Ragnarok causes it's complete destruction, and I could do anything I wanted." He picks up the salt and pepper, holding one up.

  "I could, let's say, push the Hulk off the rainbow bridge." He starts pouring the salt into the bowl. "There he goes."

  "The salt's Hulk?"

  Loki lifts up the pepper. "And I could also.. set fire to the palace." He starts pouring the pepper into the bowl, making me laugh more. I see Loki smile to himself, proud of himself for the accomplishment.