11 - The One Where Loki Gets A Job

The Next Morning

TVA

Y/N's POV

  I wake up like usual, and remember the unusual. There's a variant in my home. I fall back on my pillow, staying like that for a few minutes or so before getting up for breakfast. Exiting the room, I see Loki fast asleep on the couch. I honestly didn't expect him to sleep.

  I turn one of the lamps on, just so it's bright enough for me to see. I also didn't need to deal with the trickster right after waking up. I take out a skillet from one of the cabinets, along with some eggs and milk. I mix the two before scrambling them. The toaster pops as I'm plating and seasoning. 

  Loki stirs a bit on the couch, waking up. He sits up, smelling the food.

  "What's that?," he asks with a scratchy voice. I'd be lying if I said his morning voice wasn't hot.

  "Breakfast, hope you're hungry," I reply, setting the plates on the small island.

  He furrows his brows, now walking to one of the chairs. "You cooked for me?"

  "Well Mobius would be upset if I let you starve, plus we still need your Loki brain for the mission."

  He chuckles at my sarcasm, sitting down and just staring at the plate in front of him while I take bits.

  "Aren't you going to eat?,"

  "It's not poisoned, is it?," he asks, raising his brows when he turns to me. I take my fork, taking some of his eggs and eating it myself. "I'll take that as a no," he mumbles, taking a bite. I can practically see the satisfaction on his face as he goes for more.

  "So, Y/n," he finally says.

  "So, Loki."

  "I watched more of the tape last night and-"

  "You what?" I sigh, rubbing my temples. "I told you, it's probably some stupid mistake, alright?"

  "But I believe there could be something more to this-"

  "No, we're not talking about this." Silence falls upon us for a moment until I finish my breakfast.

  "Once you're done, change into one of those outfits. You've got training today," I inform him, taking my plate and rinsing it off to put in the dishwasher. He nods. "Oh, but you might have to wait. I'll be in the shower if you need me, but don't need me, sound good?," he rolls his eyes at my remark.

  I turn to the bathroom, closing the door and locking it behind me. I turn on the shower, letting it heat up a bit before stepping in.

  Mobius and I are walking down the halls to where we left Loki for training with Miss Minutes. There had been another attack on one of the groups, most definitely the Loki variant. Guess who we need help from.

  "I still don't understand why he can't stay with you."

  "What's the big deal? Who knows, maybe you two can hit it off," he replies, nudging my shoulder.

  I laugh a bit at his optimism. "There will be no 'hitting it off', Mobius. He's a Variant, I'm a TVA agent."

  "Oh, so that's the only thing keeping the two of you apart? Well-"

  "No! That's not what I meant," I laugh, cutting him off. We finally reach the door, seeing Loki trying to hit the clock with a magazine.

  "Trainin' going well?"

  "Yeah-"

  "Hey is that my jet-ski magazine? Put it down, come on, gear up." Mobius hands the jacket to Loki. "There's been an attack, let's go." He gets up, taking the jacket out of the bag and walking towards Mobius.

  "Put it on," I grin.

  He adjusts it a bit. "Good. Yeah. Smart," Mobius praises as Loki shows it off.

  "C-20 and her team went dark shortly after they jumped into the 1985 branch. All signs point to another ambush. We've grabbed enough temporal aura to know it's our Loki variant. But which kind of Loki, remains unknown," B-15 informs the group.

  "They're the lesser kind, to be clear," Loki remarks, nodding his head.

  B-15 sighs. "Let me see the back of that jacket." I grin as he turns around, showing the bold word VARIANT on the back.

  He scoffs after he sees it himself. "Very subtle, well done."

  "I don't want anybody out there to forget what you are."

  "Oh, your only hope of capturing a murderer?"

  "No, a cosmic mistake."

  "That's a bit harsh, B-15..," I mutter.

  "Lovely," Loki says, a bit hurt.

  "Here's the deal. When we get out on the branch, we're not just looking for a Time Criminal, we're looking for a Loki. A variation of," Mobius points to Loki. "This guy. A type we should all be very familiar with, because the TVA has pruned a lot of these guys, almost more than any other variant."

  The hologram in the middle starts displaying each different Loki variant we've encountered.

  "And no two are alike. Slight differences in appearances, or not so slight. Different powers, although, powers, generally include shape-shifting, illusion-projection, and my favorite-"

  "Duplication casting," Loki finishes.

  Mobius furrows his brows. "Illusion-projection."

  "No, they're two completely different powers actually."

  "How?," I question.

  "Illusion-projection involves depicting a detailed image from outside oneself, which is perceptible in the external world, whereas duplication casting entail recreating an exact facsimile of one's own body in its present circumstance, which acts as a true holographic mirror of its molecular structure. But, uh, you already knew that."

  "What he said," I mumble.

  "Okay, take a breath. Noted," Mobius replies. "We're gonna break into two teams, including myself, Y/N and Professor Loki."

  "Why?," Loki asks.

  "Because whoever this Variant is, we haven't been able to find him. So let's bring in an expert."

  Loki takes a deep breath, pointing to himself. "That's me," he says, winking.

Not sure how much I'll be writing the next couple weeks, I'm having family come visit. I tried to write as much as possible now though! Hope you enjoyed :)

Special thanks to mcu_hp_fan_ and Bluepopcycle for interacting with me and the story <3

 Take care loves