Extraordinary >> 10th Doctor X Reader

Title: Extraordinary

Paring: 10th Doctor X Reader

Warnings: none

Spoilers: none? I don't technically watch Dr Who, so I don't know if I've spoiled it or not.

---------------------------------------

It was only poetic that everyone had something amazing happen to themselves in their lives. Saved a baby from a burning building. Went on national TV to sing. Married a soulmate.

Well, everyone seemingly, except you.

You worked a small job, stacking shelves in the last independent bookstore in your area. It was a nice job, but nothing special ever happened to you. Until, it seemed, when your eyes saw something your logical brain wouldn't comprehend - a photo on the front of a newspaper. It was a blurry picture, granted, but in the enlarged pixels, you swore there was a blue box - almost like a telephone booth London used to be filled with on the edge of every block - in the right corner.

Blue box.

Your mother, a wonderful lady, once told you of a man who traveled in a box, much like the one you saw in the newspaper photo. Of course, you had been five years old and refused to hear any bedtime story - you had refused to hear Harry and the Robots or the simplified children's version of Sherlock Holmes - and so she had told you of a man who saved the world, travelling in a blue box with friends he found.

You shook your head at the newspaper and went on to work without another thought of it for days. Men didn't travel in blue boxes. Men traveled like regular people, doing regular things like working or drinking coffee or arguing on mobile phones.

Of course, after seeing the newspaper, you continued the rest of your day like normal, following the same routine that you often took: greet your boss, stack the shelves, hum under your breath, assist with the customers, take an hour off for lunch on the stoop out back and do it all over again until you closed the store at five, to only go home and repeat it all again for the next week.

A week did fly by, and by the time he arrived, the daydream of the story your mother had told you about that you had was nearly all out of your mind.

He appeared just before closing time - your boss had left the keys on the hook like usual with the recycled parting words "see you tomorrow" - coming in through the front doors in a large brown trench coat, eyes focused on something you couldn't pin point, yet they were looking at you.

"Sir, I'm sorry, I'm just about to close the store," you apologised, looking at the man. His hair, as spiked as it was, seemed to deflate at your words, but at once, a smile broke out on his face.

"Defiantly is you," he said under his breath, but loud enough for you to hear.

"Excuse me?" You wondered, picking up a copy of the Tolkien encyclopaedia as a sort of shield. It wasn't often your shop got weird people in, but when they did, you weren't unprepared. "Do I know you?"

The man shrugged. "Not now, but we do. You actually sent me to get you - your timeline is so chronologically displaced, you even have a time loop in there too...makes me wonder how you get into such a neat routine even with it!" He laughed. Seeing your confusion, he added, "I forgot you don't know my name - I'm the Doctor."

"Of what?" You questioned aloud, clutching the encyclopaedia tighter.

The Doctor grinned. "Of time."

"Oh," you nodded, taking his answer as the best you would get.

"Now, _______, we need to go, this is one deadline we can't miss, and I need your assistance with this." He took a long rod from his trench coat and laid it in his hands as if it were not a blue-glowing silver rod that seemed like a weapon but something simple like a spatula.

"What is that?" You backed away. "Is that some sort of gun? Don't hurt me, I'm just a regular person, please!"

The Doctor chuckled. "Don't worry, it's just my screwdriver, _______. I don't go around hurting people, only taking them for rides in my T.A.R.D.I.S....and you're far from regular, you're extraordinary."

You lower your book. "Screwdriver? T.A.R.D.I.S.?" You wondered. "Did I hit my head on something? Am I mad?"

Suddenly, an odd noise filled the shop, and The Doctor rolled his eyes. A blue box appeared between the rows of bookshelves, and to your amazement, a girl who looked exactly like you opened the door and stuck her head out and frowned at the doctor, then at you.

"_______!" The girl spoke to you. "Stop being so stubborn and go for the best time of your life with the Doctor! You're not making it any easier for the poor guy!"

You blinked. "I - you're -,"

The girl, who you recognized as yourself rolled her eyes. "Yeah. Now come on! There's trouble in a galaxy that needs your help!"

You turned to The Doctor. "Why didn't you say so? I'm in!"

At this, you ran to the T.A.R.D.I.S. and, entering before The Doctor, missed his exasperated sigh and pocketing of a heavy book murmuring "good weapons, books" as he followed you in.