Chapter 40: Taking Care of You

‹‹‹‹‹{Chapter 40}›››››

{Recap}

“This is pitiful,” Mitch laughs weakly as he recovers from the hit, “You could barely keep me in a chair with handcuffs...now you have to use your gun to keep me in place,” he clucks his tongue, “Your dad would be so proud.”

            “I’m this close,” Alric makes a space with his hands, “From ending your sorry life.”

            “Do it,” Mitch challenges, “You don’t have the guts.” A loud gunshot rings through the air at that moment and I shut my eyes afraid of what I’ll see if I open them.

            “Mitch,” I sob as the hands release me and leave me lying on the floor. I feel a heavy darkness closing in as I faint out of consciousness.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            Faintly in my dream I hear voices speaking around me.

            “Exactly,” a voice laughs, “You don’t have the guts.”

            “You are so lucky my father wants you alive,” another voice growls, “For whatever puny reason.”

            “Dissing daddy,” the first voice clucks, “I don’t think he’ll like that.”

            “Get both of them out of here,” the second voice roars in rage. The voices fade away and the blackness returns again.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            I come to consciousness in a foreign room, well foreign until I recognize it as our cell. A strong arm is wrapped around my shoulders as I lean against the wall. My eyes flit to my left and note a body next to me.

            “Mitch,” I whisper as I look up at his face.

            “And she awakes,” Mitch chuckles softly. My heart wrenches as I take in his bruised face. He sports an awful looking black eye, a busted lip, a bash down his left cheek, as for the state of his lower body I can’t tell with his shirt on.

            “Oh Mitch,” I murmur as I cup his cheek.

            “Kate,” he laughs, though wincing while completing the action, “I’m fine.”

{Play Music}

            “Seriously,” I glare up at him as I rip a piece of my dress off to use as a cloth, “You can stop lying now.” Mitch rolls his eyes heavenward as he drags a hand down his face.

            “Tiger no help needed,” he sighs annoyed as he watches me make my way to the pump and wet the rag with cold water. I walk back over to him and stand in front of him with my hands on my hips.

            “Scoot up to the edge of the bed,” I say as I gesture for him to move forward.

            “Kate I said I was fine,” Mitch answers as he groans exasperated.

            “Shut up Mitch,” I squint at him, “And scoot up here right now before I make you.” Mitch stares at me in surprise for a few seconds before complying. He grunts softly as he moves and I can see the pain written all over his face. Once he sits in front of me I carefully take his chin in my hand and begin wiping the dried blood off his face. Mitch sucks in a quiet breath every time I near one of the bruises on his face.