03x02 - The Hybrid

Klaus had been growing increasingly worried about the little siphoner. She was sleeping almost every hour of every day and when she was awake he could tell by the way she carried herself that she was in pain. 

Klaus made it clear would've preferred if Mira had stayed in the car when they went trekking in the Smoky Mountains, but she wouldn't have it. She was exhausted and tired but she knew she probably wasn't going to survive the night. It was a full moon after all, and if it was her last, no way was she doing it cooped up in some random motel all alone.

Of course, Klaus didn't know about the real reason Mira wanted to go with them, but he let her. She was dying, and everyone knew it, and Klaus didn't want to be the person to deny her what she wanted.

'Are you okay? Is Ray getting heavy?' Klaus taunted Stefan. Ray was dead- or in transition- and Stefan was carrying him across his back. They'd been walking for ages and Mira was sure that she was about to drop dead of exhaustion any minute now.

'I'm fine,' Stefan grumbled.

'You sure about that? You know we've been walking for quite some time now. If you need some water or a little sit-down?' he continued to annoy Stefan and Mira shook her head. For people who had lived countless lives they sure acted like they were still five-years-old.

'You know, I get that we're stuck together, but if we could maybe just skip the chitchat it'd be great.'

'What about you love?' His voice got slightly softer as he turned his head towards Mira. She was stumbling and walking close to the trees, holding onto them to help her keep herself balanced. Stefan had noted the sincerity that Klaus often spoke to the siphoner with and he also noticed Mira's hostility towards Klaus. It made him wonder what had happened when Mira was kept hostage, and it also made him want to protect her. The girl got on his nerves, but it was more like a teasing sister sort of way.

'I'm fine,' she muttered, but both the hybrid and the vampire knew this was a lie. They heard the way her chest was heaving- like it wasn't getting enough air and her heart was racing a mile a minute. Seconds later, Mira tumbled, and Klaus vamp-speed towards her, holding out his hand. Mira slapped it away.

Holding onto a tree, she pulled herself up and glared at the hybrid. 'I said I'm fine.'

'Why is Mira even here? Why am I here?' Stefan asked. Mira was curious about this too. She thought it was just because that rippers were almost as rare as siphoners, but the way Klaus acted towards Stefan was like they were old friends.

'So much brooding,' Klaus said, his sarcastic tone coming back. 'Your self-loathing is suffocating, my friend.' Mira scoffed lightly.

'Maybe it's because we're both tired of hunting werewolves,' Mira said glaring. She never had a pack, in fact she never even knew she was a werewolf until a couple months ago but she felt as though she was betraying her own kind.

'We've been at it all summer,' Stefan added.

'Thanks to our pal, Ray, we've found ourselves a pack.' They all turned to their left. There were multiple long straight trees stretching out as far as the eye could see but right in front of them were people with camping equipment. A lot of people. They were chatting and laughing, completely oblivious to the danger that had just entered their camp.

Dramatically, Stefan walked up to the pack and dropped Ray unceremoniously onto the ground as Mira lent against a tree for support. Her hands wouldn't stop shaking, she was as pale as a ghost and there was sweat budding on her forehead. Her nose began bleeding and she tried to cover it up, but the hybrid noticed. She missed the fact that his eyebrows had furrowed in concern, and he didn't say anything.