02x14 - Crying Wolf

A phone ringing woke everyone up, but at this point Mira was used to it. 'Go away,' mumbled Caroline and there was a loud thump. Looking over Mira stifled a laugh – Elena lay sprawled on the ground covered in blankets – Caroline had pushed her off the bed. Answering the phone, despite everyone's protests, Elena crawled out of the room and began talking to, Mira assumed, Stefan.

Mira, Caroline and Bonnie tried to fall back asleep but they all knew it wasn't working. After 20 minutes Caroline got up to take a shower, and Bonnie questioned Mira about being a siphon.

'So, you can't produce your own magic?' Bonnie asked

'Nope,' Mira accented the "p". 'I pretty much just suck up magic. Like what I did with Roses werewolf bite, like I did with the tomb spell. I only have the magic for a limited time though, and if the spell is too big my magic can be uncontrollable- kind of like its leaking everywhere.'

'How do you do magic constantly then? I've never seen you without it. Care told me about what you did yesterday- that requires a lot of power.'

'Yeah, well,' Mira shrugged. 'Most of it was from the tomb spell, but for daily normal, random, fun things like changing the colors of clothes, or fixing broken flowers, or creating glowing butterflies, or doing the dishes cause I'm lazy, I just make sure to have a constant source of magic on me.' Mira grabbed her necklace. 'This is my mother's talisman. It holds a lot of power because she was a powerful witch. I don't let anyone use it. My mother made me promise her that if I were to inherit it, it would stay with my blood.'

Bonnie thought over her words. 'Why do you call yourself a defect?'

Mira swallowed- not thinking they'd reach the topic this quickly.

'Well,' she said hesitantly, choosing her words carefully. 'A lot of siphoners are isolated, abandoned and abused growing up leading to sociopathic tendencies when they grow old. We're constantly belittled and called abominations all because we cant create our own magic.' Mira sucked a breath in. 'I was on the run with my loving mother most of my life so I only experienced all of that from my coven for the first eight years of my life before they tried to sacrifice me on an altar.'

Bonnie looked at Mira appalled. 'Why do witches hate siphoners so much?'

'Because Bonnie,' Mira looked at her bracelet. 'We are to witches what vampires are to humans. We get addicted to the high that comes with taking someone's magic away and trust me it hurts. If we suck out too much magic from a vampire or witch they die instantly. We literally rip the magic from their blood and bones and for some witches it tears them apart on the inside.' Mira held up her wrist. 'This bracelet was part of the deal I made with Elijah. Keep Elena safe, be at his beck and call, and then I get this bracelet. It satiates the urges to suck the magic out of everything and anything I see.'

Bonnie thought for a moment.

'Does that mean you can kill an original?'

Beat.

'No,' Mira lied. 'They have too much power. I'd die before I could suck it all up.'

Mira's phone began ringing. 'That'll be Damon wanting a favor' Mira said, getting up out of the bed, walking to the spare bathroom and beginning to change into her previous day's clothes. Walking out she found Bonnie was still sitting on the bed, deep in thought. 'If you have any more questions Bonnie don't hesitate to call me. You can tell your friends what you learnt too, if you want. I don't mind.'

Walking out towards her car, Mira left Bonnie and Caroline and called Damon back.

As she closed her car door and the started the ignition Damon picked up.