Chapter 39: Our Only Hope

‹‹‹‹‹{Chapter 39}›››››

{Recap}

“I’m fine,” Mitch nestles his head into my neck as the grated door to our cell slams behind us.

            “Next time they said it’ll be real,” I whisper as my eyes enlarge with fright.

            “That’s what they want you to think,” Mitch lifts his head and stares into my eyes, “Don’t fall for their lies tiger.”

            “But I heard screams,” I grip his arm as I sit up, “An-d,” I burst into tears, “I thought they were yours.”

            “Aw Kate,” Mitch holds me closer, “Calm down...It wasn’t me.”

            “This time,” I feel tears stream down my cheeks.

            “Or ever,” he grips my shoulders tightly, “We’ll get out of here Kate, trust me.”

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            We both fall asleep from exhaustion in a sitting up position. I slump in Mitch’s lap as he leans against the wall behind him. My eyes flutter shut and the dark, dimly lit world around me slowly fades away. Even in my slumber I still hold tightly to Mitch. They can’t, they won’t, take him from me.

‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡‡

            “Get up,” someone slaps their keys against the bars rudely awakening us. I jump up in surprise and my eyes focus on a guard carrying a rusty tray. Mitch slowly stirs and peers suspiciously at the man as he enters the cell and places the measly tray on a table. My stomach rumbles and I realize how hungry I am. However, as my eyes take in the food my lips curl back in horror.

            On the rusty tin tray lies two bowls of watery red soup resembling blood and two stale rolls. The only thing that seems edible is the quickly drying lemon slice they placed near the bread.

            I ease out of Mitch’s lap as he sits up and makes his way to the table bearing the food. He studies it with obvious disgust as he flicks a meager roll. An audible crunching noise ensues as his fingers collide with the bread proving how stale it is.

            “I know they have better food than this,” Mitch growls as his eyebrows pull together, “Remember how we ate in the dorms,” he turns to me. I nod sadly as I get up and walk over to the table.

            “What should we eat,” I ask in bewilderment and look up at him.

            “Everything,” Mitch grimaces in reply, “We don’t want to end up starving.” I choke at his answer as I sit in the chair across from him. Hesitantly, I pick up the roll and slowly lift it to my mouth. When I bite down, I nearly cry out as my teeth clamp down on the rock-like piece of food.

            “Soak it in the soup,” Mitch points out as he eyes the bowl in front of him.

            “It looks like blood,” I croak as I stir my spoon in it.

            “Thanks Kate,” he chuckles, “Now I really don’t want to eat it.”

            “Sorry,” I giggle as I tentatively dip my roll in the soup.